Thursday, October 11, 2007
This has to be the coolest thing ever.
Everyone knows about ESPN’s new video clips. Just about everything is available these days. However instead of seeing certain segments of The Contender, you can now watch an entire fight.
Here’s Sakio Bika vs Donnie McCrary from last week.
Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Where would you rank Mike Tyson in your list of top heavyweights? Would he make the top 10? That’s what Skip Bayless and company debated during a segment on ESPN’s First Take yesterday.
As usual Bayless was wrong in my opinion. Tyson came onto the scene during the second half of the 1980’s, a time where the heavyweight stars of the late 70’s and early 80’s were all going into retirement. Just bad timing I guess. Tyson beat just about every fighter that was put in front of him. Not only did he beat them, he knocked 44 of them out.
In case anyone is curious, my top 10. in no particular order however:
Friday, September 14, 2007
Joe DeGuardia’s Star Boxing announced today that the NYSAC reversed the “No-Contest” decision that was declared after the Delvin Rodriguez 21- 2-1 (12KO’s) vs Keenan Collins 12-3-1 (8KO’s) bout. The result has been thus changed to a Rodriguez TKO victory. Although punches caused the cut, referee Eddie Claudio called it an accidental head butt. The Rodriguez camp asked the NYSAC to reverse the decision based on clear evidence that the cut was caused by punches and not a headbutt. The August 24th Star Boxing bout was broadcast on ESPN2’s Friday Night Fights live from the Utopia Paradise Theatre in the Bronx, NY
After reviewing the fight footage, the NYSAC came to the same conclusion that the fans in attendance and viewers watching the broadcast knew; there was no accidental head butt throughout the entire fight.
“We respect and are very pleased with the decision by the NYSAC, it is a just and well deserved result for a young fighter who fought like a warrior in the first 2 rounds until the fight was unfortunately stopped,” said DeGuardia. “It is refreshing that the NYSAC took a stance and did what is fair, just and appropriate. This is yet another step in the right direction for the sport of boxing.”
Team Rodriguez was pleased with the news “I want to thank the NYSAC for giving me a fair and just result. Now I can continue on with my game plan and get back in the ring as soon as possible,” said a jubilant Rodriguez.
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Star Boxing announced today that Delvin Rodriguez has challenged the “No-Contest” result that was declared after the fight between Delvin Rodriguez 20-2-1 (12KO’s) and Keenan Collins 12-2-1 (8KO’s) was stopped between the 2nd and 3rd rounds. The fight was aired live on ESPN2’s “Friday Night Fights” from the Utopia Paradise Theater in the Bronx, NY on August 24.
A vicious right hand from Rodriguez opened a deep cut above the left eye of Keenan Collins in the second round. Rodriguez went on a measured head and body attack and had Collins ready to go as the bell sounded to end the round.
Collins corner realizing their fighter was in trouble urged the ringside doctor to stop the fight. The referee, Eddie Claudio announced the cut was caused by an accidental head butt and the fight was ruled a “No Contest.”
Wednesday, September 05, 2007
LOS ANGELES - Famed pugilists Oscar De La Hoya and Sugar Ray Leonard have made a “friendly” bet on two bouts between fighters from their respective camps, making the September 15 “Fireworks” boxing event, featuring Juan Manuel Marquez against Rocky Juarez in the main event at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas and live on pay-per-view, that much more explosive.
In the first bout, and opening the pay-per-view telecast that evening, Francisco “Panchito” Bojado will represent De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions. His opponent Steve Forbes, will represent the Leonard-hosted ‘The Contender’ Series, as runner-up from Contender Season Two. In the other bout, Golden Boy pugilist and former junior middleweight champion Kassim “The Dream” Ouma will battle Contender first season winner Sergio “The Latin Snake” Mora. The winners of the bouts will decide the winner of the bet between De La Hoya and Leonard with both decorated fighters agreeing that the loser will provide ring card girl duties between the first and second round of the main event. If it’s a draw with one bout a piece for each side, De La Hoya and Leonard will share ring card duties.
Saturday, September 01, 2007
In a recent interview with ESPN’s Dan Rafael, Oscar De La Hoya has stated that he plans on returning to the ring next May, at welterweight:
But De La Hoya (38-5, 30 KOs), who has won 10 world title belts in six divisions, has no immediate plans to stop fighting and is thinking about his ring return, targeted for May 3, 2008.
And when he does return, De La Hoya said that he will be back in the welterweight division he once dominated before moving up to junior middleweight and taking a two-fight stab at middleweight.
“Nothing is set in stone about who I’m going to fight,” De La Hoya told ESPN.com in a recent interview. “Right now, I’m plotting these fights [that Golden Boy is promoting], keeping myself busy and spending time with my family. I won’t decide who I am going to fight until I see how things unfold [in the fall], but I will be back at welterweight, that’s for sure.”
Oscar back at 147 lbs? Just imagine the possible matchups: Mayweather, Mosley, Hatton, Williams, Cintron and Margarito are all potential opponents at this point.
Friday, August 31, 2007
Sugar Ray Leonard and Alfonso Gomez visit ESPN’s Friday Night Fights as special guest analysts tonight at 10 PM EST. Shamone Alvarez will take on Germaine Sanders in the night’s main event.
Thursday, August 30, 2007
Prize Fight Promotions, Super Promotions and Bayou Promotions in association with Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Biloxi, MS. Today announced the return of Zab “Super” Judah (34-5-0 25KO’s), to the Prize Fight gym in Memphis. Judah is wrapping up his training camp, and preparing to face Edwin Vazquez (22-10-2, 8KO’s) Friday, September 7, on the season finale of ESPN’s Friday Night Fights, live from the Hard Rock Casino & Hotel in Biloxi Mississippi.
Judah’s last outing was June 9, 2007, going head to head in a highly anticipated fight against undefeated WBA Welterweight Champion Miguel Cotto before a sell out crowd at Madison Square Garden New York. He came out strong in the first round before suffering a low blow, another accidental low blow hurt him more than the first and from that point on was unable to fully recover.
“This is a must win for Zab, as he makes his way back into contention in the welterweight division. Zab is a three time world champion, on any given night at his best he can beat any of the welterweights out there today, Judah hurt Cotto in the first and third rounds and dropped Mayweather, although the ref declared it a slip. A win puts him squarely back in the game.” Said Russ Young.
“I am a three time world champion, I’m want a fourth title, I am the best out there, I have fought the best in the world, I’ve had a few diversions along the way but that’s boxing, when I am in top form no one can beat me. My camp has been very productive, I feel good.” Said Judah.
UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and former undisputed boxing welterweight champion Zab Judah discuss their respective sports of mixed martial arts and boxing during an ESPN: The Magazine interview session.
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
The cast of The Contender: Season 3 works out with Sparq Training Systems in order to test out their speed, power, agility, and endurance before they begin fighting on September 4th on ESPN.