Floyd Mayweather Jr
Sunday, November 05, 2006
Floyd Mayweather did what everyone thought he was going to do, even though it took a lot longer then it should have…
Mayweather outboxed Carlos Baldomir over twelve rounds, winning a unanimous decision victory and winning the WBC Welterweight title in the process.
The fight was never really close at all - Mayweather was able to stick, move, and dance around Baldomir just about all fight long. The fight was so one-sided that two judges gave Mayweather a shutout victory, scoring the bout 120-108. The other judge gave two rounds to Baldomir and scored the match 118-110…
How obvious was it that Mayweather was going to win? Much of the crowd starting heading for the exits before the fight was even over…
Mayweather injured his right hand during the fight, one of the reasons why he wasn’t able to put Baldomir away for good in the later rounds.
“I hurt my right in the middle of the fight, around the sixth round,” Mayweather said. “This is not the same pain I felt before, so I don’t really know what happened to it. I just went out there and put on a boxing clinic. I feel like down the stretch I would’ve got the knockout, but I hurt my hand. Look at what I did tonight, I had a shutout. I can win under any circumstances, and I am here to stay.”
It seemed that nothing was going right over Baldomir at all, he couldn’t even land a shot. Seriously… the CompuBox statistics show that Baldomir only landed twelve percent of his punches, a remarkable figure.
Even through losing, Baldomir stayed positive about his efforts:
“I didn’t fight my fight,” said Baldomir, of Argentina. “He was too fast. I couldn’t catch him, and when I did, I just wasn’t strong. I felt sluggish.
It’s been a great year,” said Baldomir, who earned $1.6 million. “I beat Judah, I beat Gatti, I went up against the pound-for-pound king. I accomplished a lot.”
Interesting fact: On a weekend that had yet another incident dealing with fighters’ weight, Mayweather and Baldomir actually with an 11 lb difference - Mayweather gained three pounds after the weigh-ins and weighed 150 lbs during the fight; It was reported that Baldomir shot up to 161 lbs and weighed around the same when he entered the ring…
Friday, November 03, 2006
“Ricky Hatton don’t want to fight me. If he did why is he going back down to 140? Why also did he ask for $13 million, when his previous best purse was only $3 million? Ricky should stay back in England fighting wrestlers that are handpicked. As long as he does that he’ll stay undefeated.”
Well there you have it folks, Ricky Hatton doesn’t want to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr, at least according to Floyd himself...
I don’t really buy it for two reasons:
First off, has anyone else noticed that Mayweather continues to change the reasoning behind the Hatton fight not happening? First it was the old “talks broke down” routine. Then, Mayweather said that the fight didn’t happen strictly because Hatton wanted “Mayweather-type numbers”. Now, it’s because Hatton didn’t want to fight him at all?
I find it hard to believe considering Hatton told the UK Mirror that he wanted to fight Mayweather at some point next year early last month.
Why is Floyd talking about Hatton right now anyway? Shouldn’t he be focused on Carlos Baldomir, you know, his opponent for tomorrow night?
Wednesday, November 01, 2006
I can’t believe it’s the weekend of November 4th already…
We have two big-time championship fights this weekend - Carlos Baldomir will put his WBC Welterweight belt on the line against the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, Floyd Mayweather Jr. As if that weren’t already enough, Sergei Liakhovich will defend his WBO Heavyweight title against Shannon Briggs who will be getting his first shot at heavyweight gold since a 1998 loss to Lennox Lewis.
This is the first weekend in a long time that I can remember a lower weight class fight being more popular than a heavyweight title bout.
David P. Greisman is right however. When Mayweather and Baldomir step into the ring on Saturday night, it’s going to certainly be a gunfight with gloves…
It will be high noon on a Saturday night when Carlos Baldomir and Floyd Mayweather meet for a gunfight with gloves.
On one side will be Baldomir, the underdog champion who must rely on his more powerful weaponry to take out the challenger standing opposite him, Mayweather, a man who is fast on the draw and deadly with his accuracy.
In a showdown for a welterweight championship that isn’t big enough for the both of them, the odds are highly in favor of the brash, slick Mayweather triumphing over a Baldomir who, in the eyes of many, will be cashing out with a one-sided loss.
Monday, October 23, 2006
Floyd Mayweather Jr. has also been one to speak freely about whatever is on his mind. This time around, his thoughts about possible future opponents are no different…
Recently interviewed by British newspaper The Sunday Times, Mayweather had a message for three fighters who are looking to face him in the near future:
“It doesn’t matter if you’re Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton or Sugar Shane Mosley. If you want to be the best, you must pass me. All roads in boxing lead to Floyd Mayweather.”
Mayweather was especially talkative about Ricky Hatton, whom Mayweather attempted to fight earlier this year - Talks broke down and Floyd ended up signing to fight Carlos Baldomir instead; Hatton will fight Juan Urango in January.
So how exactly did those talks break down? Floyd knows…
“Listen, I’m not even thinking of Ricky Hatton right now. We tried to get Hatton before we put together this fight with Baldomir, but he asked for $13 million. He asked for Floyd Mayweather-type numbers, which is impossible for him to get.
Fighters like Hatton don’t compare. I’m one of the best fighters ever to put on a pair of gloves. You see fighters come in, hit the pads, hit the bags, jump rope and go home. Well, that’s not me. I want a physical body in the ring so we can bang, head-to-head, to prepare me. Blood, sweat and tears, this is the business I’m in. I don’t look in boxing books, so I don’t know who is the pound-for-pound number two, but I know there ain’t no fighter in the world does his business like me.”
Wednesday, October 04, 2006
You guys want your potential matchup gossip? You got it…
Contender 2 winner Grady Brewer is attempting to get into the ring on one of two occasions according to a show executive. The choices apparently are: a show in November or the undercard of the juniors - Roy Jones and Peter Manfredo in January.
Steve Forbes, the guy who came in second place on The Contender for those of that don’t watch the show, has signed with HBO and will fight Demetrius Hopkins on Boxing After Dark on November 25th.
If you didn’t watch the show, read this... (Such shameful plugging…)
By the way John, you gave away the fact that this fight was taking place in the last paragraph. Yes I know self, I’m such a bad blogger. :(
Don’t mind me, I’m in an odd mood…
Anyway, Roy Jones Jr. will take on Peter Manfredo Jr. on January 19 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles if everything goes right - The terms of the contract are still being discussed at this time.
Manfredo is currently scheduled to fight Joey Spina in November and I don’t think that he will get a shot at Roy unless he is victorious against Spina.
Just lay out your plans for the future, it’s apparently the new fad.
According to the UK Mirror, Hatton is attempting to take Mayweather’s title as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world today…
“That’s my aim now, to climb the pound-for-pound ratings and be regarded as the No.1 in the world,” Hatton said. I’m disappointed I won’t fight again this year, but HBO has guaranteed me three fights in 2007.
“I’m going back down to 140 pounds and I don’t think anybody can live with me at that weight from a physical strength point of view. First up is Urango and my old IBF belt. That’s no foregone conclusion and he’s a southpaw, who’s like a mini-Mike Tyson. But I expect to win and should I win, then I’ll make my first defense against Castillo. He’s above me in the pound-for-pound ratings so that would boost me if I could beat him.
“Then the obvious step forward for me will be Mayweather, who is recognized as the best operator in the world pound for pound.” Although I accept that Mayweather is massively talented, he’s never been tested by someone like me,” he said to the Mirror. “If he’s going to beat me, he’s got to have some serious firepower to keep me off and I don’t think he could do that for all his talent. Mayweather wouldn’t like my body shots, no-one in the world does, and they are what I would have to bring into play.
“He’s got some great hand speed and some brilliant combinations, but I stand by my belief that if anyone can beat him, it’s me. He may be ranked by all the best judges as the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world, but when I beat him they will have to think again. Maybe it will be the Hitman at the top of the pile!’’
Hatton better hope that some of these fighters win their upcoming bouts so his plan can work. If Hatton is even able to get past Juan Urango, he has to pray that Luis Castillo beats Vivian Harris in January and that Mayweather can defeat Carlos Baldomir in November, let alone that Floyd will win another fight after that…
B-Hop is serious about this, yo…
In a recent interview with the Philadelphia Daily News, Hopkins confirmed that he is still considering coming out of retirement and challenging WBC Heavyweight Champion Oleg Maskaev.
We already talked about all of this - I just wanted to share my favorite quote from that article:
“I’m going to come in like Apollo Creed, with red, white and blue trunks, red, white and blue shoes and a red, white and blue robe,” Hopkins said to Fernandez. “It’ll be just like ‘Rocky IV,’ with me beating a giant Russian.
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Well if this keeps up, Floyd Mayweather might have to wait a while before he can get at Oscar De La Hoya…
Felix Trinidad heard about De La Hoya’s meeting with Manhattan reporters and has responded to the claims that Trinidad met with Oscar to discuss a possible rematch and more.
“I am withdrawn and I continue to be withdrawn”, said Trinidad. “But, to show respect to all my people, I am willing to do a one big fight. I never have avoided a fight with (De La Hoya). Six times he was offering to fight me, he was scared and he never signed.”
Now that De La Hoya is getting exactly what he wants, it’s time to get down to specifics. Trinidad has stated that he wants to fight at 160 lbs with no exception. While I’m sure that De La Hoya will have no problem with that seeing how he’s probably walking around at that weight right now anyway, it’s going to create a whole different fight than in 1999 when the two fought as welterweights.
Trinidad is also saying that De La Hoya is fibbing about meeting with him down in Puerto Rico.
“The story that I have met with him is not true”, Trinidad said. “I have not spoken with him and have not authorized anybody to speak to him on my behalf. In my life, since 1999, I have spoken with him three times. When I was in Miami, another time in Los Angeles, and the third time at the last fight that there was in the Choliseo. And never was it said to me that he wanted to fight with me. We have spoken of other things, of his boxers, but never has said me ‘Tito, I want to fight with you.’ “
Oh Oscar, you sly fox. Trinidad says that you are just using his name to try and make publicity for himself and he’s probably right.
Now Oscar has yet another decision to make: Trinidad or Mayweather?
Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Despite all of the rumors that Floyd Mayweather was going to take on lesser opponents such as Antonio Margarito and Cory Spinks, Pretty Boy decided to go along with probably the top contender to his throne in the welterweight division: Carlos Baldomir. With the fight a little less than two months away, the trash-talking has begun.
So what does Baldomir have to say about his opponent?
“My time has come and I have no fear of Mayweather, and as a matter of fact, I can’t wait to get my fists on him,” said Baldomir. “His pretty looks can’t help him when he steps in the ring and I will continue to show the world that my last fights weren’t the best I can be. I plan on being faster and throwing bigger bombs on every part of Mayweather’s body. I am very confident and he’ll see I’m the best welterweight in the world and I’m going to stay that way.”
ESPN Motion: Mayweather Ready to Fight Baldomir
Wednesday, August 30, 2006
Oscar De La Hoya has confirmed that he will indeed fight again in 2007. He’s even gone as far as to narrow down his list of possible opponents to two: Floyd Mayweather and Felix Trinidad.
De La Hoya, who met with a group of reporters for dinner in Manhattan on Tuesday night, said he met with Trinidad recently over breakfast at his house and they talked about possibility of fighting the rematch.
“When I saw Tito I knew it was possible (the rematch),’’ De La Hoya said. “The rumblings I’m getting on the island (Puerto Rico) is he’s running everyday.’‘
De La Hoya and Trinidad are neighbors in Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico. He said they ran into each other at a local restaurant one morning while they were both having breakfast. De La Hoya said they later drove back to his house and continued to talk about the possibility of a rematch.
De La Hoya said he will most likely open negotiations soon with both Trinidad and Mayweather and whomever he can make a deal with first that’s the fight he’ll take.
“Negotiations are the only hurdle,’’ he said. “I think Trinidad will be easier to make than Mayweather…I’d like to have something signed by December, definitely by January.
“My choice now is Floyd. But if it gets complicated then I have Felix because really wants that fight. I saw it in his eyes. The tension was in the air.’‘
SANTA FE, ARGENTINA — What do you do when you sign to fight in the biggest bout of your life, for the largest purse of your life and against the man widely regarded as the top boxer in the world?
If you’re Carlos Baldomir, you go fishing with a few friends near your hometown.
After defeating Zab Judah Jan. 7, 2006, with a 12-round decision to become the World Boxing Council and lineal welterweight champion and then defending successfully by a spectacular ninth-round stoppage of Arturo Gatti July 22, Baldomir, who’s promoted by Sycuan Ringside Promotions, is set to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. Nov. 4 at the Mandalay Resort & Casino in Las Vegas and live on HBO Pay-Per-View.
But, before training camp began, Baldomir, an avid fisherman, visited the Parana River in Argentina, mere minutes from his home in Santa Fe. While fishing, the Argentine native reeled in the largest Bogas he has ever caught.
Sunday, August 20, 2006
Enrique Ornelas easily defeated Raul Munoz on Friday night, garnering a TKO victory less than 3 minutes into the first round. Munoz was knocked down twice, prompting referee Raul Caiz Jr. to stop the fight.
Paul Williams dropped former two-time Welterweight Champion Shamba Mitchell four times in four rounds Saturday night, forcing the referee to stop the bout in the middle of the fourth round on HBO’s Boxing After Dark. After the fight, the undefeated Williams challenged the three big welterweight champions: Floyd Mayweather, Carlos Baldomir, and Antonio Margarito.