Wednesday, July 11, 2007
Boxing promoter Frank Warren announced that WBO Super Middleweight Champion Joe Calzaghe will take on WBA and WBC Super Middleweight Champ Mikkel Kessler on November 3rd at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales earlier today.
The winner of the fight will become the undisputed middleweight title holder as all of the belts will be unified.
The most interesting thing to come out of today’s press conference was the fact that there currently isn’t a deal with an American TV outlet that will have the fight broadcast on PPV or premium cable over here. Warren did say that a deal was close however. He refused to name any possible networks.
“We are still working on that. We are still working to conclude our deal. It’s the best fight out there. It’s such a good fight that nobody can ignore it. I’m confident that something will be done,” Warren said.
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
Joe Calzaghe revealed in a recent interview with Sportinglife that he would like three more fights, possibly against Mikkel Kessler, Jermain Taylor, and Bernard Hopkins, to round out his storied career.
When it comes to Kessler, Calzaghe made it known that he certainly wasn’t his top choice for a future opponent. However Calzaghe didn’t close the door on a possible opportunity of meeting Kessler down the road at some point before he hangs them up:
“Kessler is a good fighter. Frank has been talking to his promoter over the last few days, trying to do something with him.
But I think that fight may be six months or more down the road. Kessler is not a big name in America.
He’s had a couple of good wins but in his last fight he beat Markus Bayer, who was shot. We can go down the Kessler road but Taylor is the one for me.”
So if Kessler isn’t tops then who is? That would be Jermain Taylor as of right now. I say as of right now because we all know how Calzaghe loves to change his mind constantly.
Mega-promoter Frank Warren is desperately trying to get a deal done between Calzaghe and Taylor’s camps for a September bout. Talks have been ongoing for months now but may pick up speed now that both fighters are coming off recent victories and are taking time off.
Calzaghe also expressed interest in Hopkins as always, stating that he would love to take on the winner of the July fight between Hopkins and Winky Wright.
“Hopkins would interest me. Hopkins won his last fight against Antonio Tarver so he’s still a formidable opponent. He looked good against Tarver but he’s 42 and he can’t go on forever. The winner of Winky Wright and Hopkins could be my opponent for January.
They’re fighting in July and I think they’ll put on a good show, but Hopkins will be too big for Winky Wright.”
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
Michael Sprott’s scheduled British Commonwealth Heavyweight Title bout against Matt Skelton this Saturday in London, England has been cancelled after Sprott injured a muscle in his left leg during training last week.
Sprott was told by doctors that he will be able to resume training in 2-4 weeks. Because Sprott-Skelton was the main event of a scheduled card this Saturday, promoter Frank Warren has decided to postpone the show completely.
Warren said, “It’s a big disappointment to the fans and everyone involved that Michael has had to pull out of the show but an acceptable replacement could not found at this late stage. I will await news of Michael’s treatment and when he is fully fit to box against a new date will be announced.”
If any KO Corner readers purchased tickets to this event, you will be able to get a full refund simply by going to the original place or source where you purchased the tickets.
Tuesday, April 17, 2007
News, Notes, and Rumors:
- According to a recent interview with BBC Sport, Jermain Taylor has turned down promoter Frank Warren’s latest offer of $4 million in order to fight Joe Calzaghe in London later this summer.
Warren has apparently been trying extremely hard to land Taylor as Calzaghe’s 21st title defense in July. However Taylor is now saying that he wants more than double the amount in order to lace up the gloves with Calzaghe.
“If Joe and Frank want me that much, make me an offer for $10 million and I will show up and bring him a gift to his front door,” Taylor told BBC Sport.
Taylor will take on Cory Spinks first on May 19th. He also says that he has no problem at all traveling overseas to Calzaghe’s home turf to fight him…
“No atmosphere is intimidating because, once you start fighting, your focus is on the man in front of you,” Taylor added.
If Taylor and Warren are unable to come to terms on a deal than Calzaghe may have to settle for a mandatory title defense against Dennis Irkin.
- Joan Guzman has fired Don House as his head trainer and replaced him with Floyd Mayweather Sr…
- Lovemore Ndou is certain that he can “whip Ricky Hatton’s ass”...
“Why do you think he chose to hand over the title rather than let me fight him for it? He knows he would get his ass whipped, simple as that. Instead he chose to fight Castillo who, just like him, is on the slide, Ndou said. “Fatton’s people know that I’m capable of doing more damage to that beer-belly than Castillo would at this time of his career. And truth is, if the Castillo that fought Corrales shows up that night, he is capable of punching Fatton through the ropes.”
Some Good Reads:
Eastside Boxing: Rating The Heavyweights - After Saturday’s Shake-Up, Today’s Top-Ten
Saturday, December 09, 2006
Audley Harrison and Danny Williams got into a brawl on Friday during the weigh-in for their rematch tonight.
During a staredown, the two began exchanging words and Williams went ahead and shoved Harrison. Officials from both parties came running towards the two and knocked them both to the ground. Microphones and cameras were supposedly sent flying.
Promoter Frank Warren joked that the scuffle that took place was more exciting than the last fight between the two:
“There was more action in those few seconds than there was in the entire 12 rounds last time around,” promoter Frank Warren said. “It might be bad for the image of boxing, but there is a lot of pent-up aggression between the pair.”
Britsh Boxing General Secretary Simon Block said that sanctions for the two were likely…
Friday, December 08, 2006
Boxing Promoter Frank Warren has dropped troubled former WBO Featherweight Champion Scott Harrison as his client one day after Harrison failed to make weight for his Saturday night fight against Nicky Cook and was forced to vacate his title.
“Scott Harrison is gone as far as I am concerned,” Warren said Thursday. “You cannot deal with things when people are not telling you the truth and you are not getting the information. I had no knowledge at all that Scott was pulling out of the fight and it is all pretty dreadful.”
Warren is currently looking for an alternative opponent for Cook in the main event. For now, he has made the IBF Intercontinental Light-Welterweight Title bout between Amir Khan and Rachid Drilzane the co-main event.
Thursday, December 07, 2006
Scott Harrison pulled out of his scheduled Saturday night bout vs Nicky Cook in London yesterday after he was unable to get under the 133 lb limit for the pre-fight weigh-ins. Harrison has also vacated his WBO Featherweight Championship, a title that he has held for the past four years.
While Frank Warren will announce a new main event at some point today, it is unclear whether or not Cook will be included on the card…
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Well this is a sudden change of events…
Last week we reported that Harrison would not be out of jail in time to defend his WBO Featherweight title against Nicky Cook on December 9th.
Well not only is Harrison now out of prison due to a spur of the moment bail agreement but his scheduled bout against Cook is now back on schedule after being cancelled by Frank Warren.
Despite many unsuccessful attempts to get his fighter out, Harrison’s manager Barry Hughes never lost hope and also stated that Harrison is in fighting shape and had been training while he was detained…
“My hopes of getting him out were fading on Friday night but something in my heart told me to keep on going and finally we got it sorted,” Hughes said. “We will fly back tomorrow morning and probably get into Glasgow early afternoon and hopefully go straight for the medical.
We have a medical booked for tomorrow so we are back on the timescale for the fight,” Hughes said. “If I thought he was not fit to fight, either mentally or physically, then I would not let the bout go ahead. But Scott has been training for an hour and a half - twice every day - and his weight is OK.”
Harrison will not be required to return to Spain until his trial.