Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Many new things to report this morning…
News, Notes, and Rumors:
- Raul Frank has appealed to the New York State Athletic Commission to reinstate his victory over Terrance Cauthen. There will be a public hearing held at the officies of the NYSA tomorrow…
- IBF and IBO Flyweight Champion Vic Darchinyan has stated that he wants the winner of Rafael-Marquez-Israel Vazquez as a setup bout that would eventually get him in line for a shot at Manny Pacquiao.
“I will challenge both Marquez and Vazquez,” Darchinyan said. “I am looking forward. I just don’t want to stay in my weight division. I want to unify the flyweight division, but if the other champions won’t fight me, I want to move up and fight for more world titles. I want to become more popular. I want to become pound for pound No.1.”
- The Plain Dealer Reporter is reporting ironically that HBO would like Kelly Pavik to fight on the same card as Jermain Taylor-Sergio Mora on April 14th.
Pavlik told the paper that Top Rank is trying to set up a fight between himself and Edison Miranda in June instead with the winner getting a shot at Taylor in September…
- A biography on Roberto Duran written by Christian Giudice and titled “Hands of Stone, The Life and Legend of Roberto Duran” will start going on sale on Friday, March 2…
Some Good Reads:
Thursday, February 08, 2007
Two women have filed lawsuits in the Pulaski County Circuit Court system accusing WBA and WBC Middleweight Champion Jermain Taylor of physically touching them at a recent performance by comedian Katt Williams at Robinson Auditorium in Little Rock, Arkansas.
The plaintiffs are asking for at least $75,000, as well as punitive damages and attorney’s fees…
Jermain Taylor has denied he has done anything wrong:
“I have been falsely accused of improper behavior,” Taylor said. “It’s a shame that people will go this far for financial gain and try to damage my name. I have always conducted myself with others in the most respectful way.”
However the attorney of the two women, Stephanie Chamberlin, believes otherwise…
“My feeling is every woman has a right to not have her body assaulted, no matter who it is,” Chamberlin said. “Neither one of these women knew of (Taylor’s) celebrity status. This isn’t about money. We are in the position where we feel like if he is going to be represented like a hometown hero, he needs to act like one.”
Chamberlain also stated that she tried to come to terms on a settlement with Taylor and his lawyers but that they denied the offer.
It was confirmed that Taylor was his wife for the duration of the performance. No word on whether or not Taylor will countersue at this time…
Monday, January 22, 2007
A little bit of news for you as we start a brand new week. For those who haven’t read up on the results of this weekend’s fights, be sure to scroll down and check our latest posts to find out for yourself…
News, Notes, and Rumors:
- Controversial promoter Dan Goossen sent out a press release last week that ripped Bob Arum and Antonio Margarito because Magarito did not give Paul Williams his mandatory title shot, instead choosing for a showdown against Miguel Cotto on June 9th.
Arum said that he is willing to setup the mandatory fight between the two, but the fight cannot happen before June unless Cotto loses when he takes on Oktay Urkal on March 3rd.
Margarito was originally supposed to return to the ring on the undercard of Cotto-Urkal but he is still recovering from a wrist injury that will keep him out of action for a few more weeks.
“(Margarito) can’t fight until (May at the earliest), and why should he fight Williams for no money when he’d have a big-money fight with Cotto there for him in June?” Arum said to Iole. “But if Cotto loses (to Oktay Urkal on March 3), then, sure, (Margarito) wouldn’t blow the title. He’d fight him then.”
Williams can still become the champion however. How? The WBO may decide to strip Margarito of his belt for not meeting Williams in the coming months.
- Former Manny Pacquiao manager Shelley Finkel is apparently warning his former client that the result of the lawsuit between Top Rank and Golden Boy over his contract may not have the result he is hoping for…
- The Las Vegas Review Journal is reporting that Kelly Pavlik and Edison Miranda may take on each other this summer in a matchup that would bring together two of the hardest-hitting middleweights in boxing.
The fight will only go down however if Pavilk sucessfully defeated Jose Luis Zertuche on January 27th as part of an HBO televised card.
Both Top Rank and Warriors Boxing have had several meetings discussing a possible matchup between the two and everything seems to be set in stone if Pavlik wins this weekend.
“I really believe Kelly Pavlik is going to be the next big thing in the middleweight division,” he said. “... He’s exciting. People want to see that,” Arum said.
There is another unusual reason why this fight could also not happen - If Jermain Taylor wants to challenge Miranda this summer according to Miranda’s camp. Why they think Taylor would want him when he still has other top middleweights to rid of in beyond me…
Some Good Reads:
Doghouse Boxing: The Re-Education of the Boxing Fan
Monday, January 15, 2007
As you probably noticed by the lack of posts yesterday, it was a pretty slow day in the boxing world. Even so, I still think I found some interesting tidbits to share with everyone…
News, Notes, and Rumors:
- Floyd Mayweather Sr. told the Grand Rapids Press this past weekend that there still isn’t a deal in place for him to train Oscar De La Hoya for the May 5th mega-fight against his son, Floyd Jr.
What’s the most amazing thing about all of this? Mayweather Sr. hasn’t signed a deal to train Oscar yet not because his is unsure whether or not he wants to train De La Hoya against his own son, but rather because he wants $2 Million because the figh purse is so high. Remarkable…
- This weekend is highlighted by three big fights, one of which isn’t being televised. It’s a heavyweight title bout of all things. I realize that Nikolai Valuev and Jameel McCline might not put on that great of a fight, but the ramifications are still huge for the division and boxing itself.
- Joel Casamayor’s next opponent is said to be down to two canidates: Juan Diaz and Acelino Freitas
- Jermain Taylor’s next title defense may happen on the weekend of April 21 in Atlantic City to coincide with the annual Boxing Writers Association of America dinner which always has a big boxing match take place the day after. So far no possible opponents have been thrown out there…
- Rising Star Delvin Rodriguez has signed with Joe DeGuardia’s Star Boxing according to ESPN. Rodriguez’s manager says the contract is a three-year deal with has multiple extension options based on Rodriguez’s performance in the ring. Rodriguez became a free agent last week after voiding his contract with Northeast Promotions. Don King and Golden Boy Promotions also made offers but were turned down surprisingly.
Some Good Reads:
Some pimpage is in order for The Sweet Science and their daily This Day in History post which has become a daily routine for me.
So what did happen today in history?
On this day in 1983, the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) declared that boxing should be banned in all civilized countries.
The notion of banning boxing was discussed even during the sport’s golden age. However, this was the first occasion that the American Medical Association (AMA) had made such a statement. George D. Lundberg, the editor of JAMA, cited the high prevalence of brain damage in professional boxers who have had a substantial number of fights as part of the basis of the AMA’s position.
Since then, other medical organizations have supported this position and the AMA and Lundberg have revisited this issue several times since 1983. An argument could be made that the initial report helped lead to some boxing reforms, such as shorter fights and quicker referee stoppages.
However, it is highly unlikely that boxing will ever be banned in the United States.
Some other nice articles for you…
Doghouse Boxing: A View from the Galaxy: The Road Back for Antonio Tarver
Maxboxing: No More in 2007
Boxing Scene: Jose Luis Castillo: Such Is Life
Tuesday, December 19, 2006
HOLLYWOOD, FL – In less than three minutes on Saturday night, Edison ‘Pantera’ Miranda reminded the boxing world why he is the uncrowned middleweight champion of the world as he dispatched of tough Willie Gibbs in devastating fashion.
But now the Colombian bomber wants the hardware to go with his status as the people’s champion, and in 2007, the first man on his hit list is the fighter seen as the undisputed titlist at 160 pounds, Jermain Taylor.
“I definitely want Jermain Taylor as soon as possible and I hope he will be a true champion and fight me,” said Miranda. “He needs to stop fighting old men and junior middleweights and fight a true 160-pounder who is coming to fight, not just peck away at him and survive. I don’t come into fights looking for decisions; I come in looking for knockouts, and if Taylor truly wants to be respected as a champion, he needs to accept my challenge.”
As for the man whose jaw he broke in two places last September, IBF “champion” Arthur Abraham, Miranda (27-1, 24 KOs) pulled no punches.
Sunday, December 10, 2006
Despite being bloody and battered, Jermain Taylor retained his two middleweight titles and won an unanimous decision over Kassim Ouma on Saturday night.
The fight took place in Taylor’s hometown of Little Rock, Arkansas and was contested under the WBC’s new scoring policy in which the judges’ scores are announced at the end of the 4th and 8th rounds as well as the end of the fight. All of the judges had Taylor winning by an overwhelming margin each time and Ouma used it as fire to go for a knockout but he was unsuccessful.
Speaking of knockouts, didn’t Taylor promise the Little Rock fans a knockout win in this fight? Even though he didn’t deliver, I’m sure his fans are happy anyway.
Despite taking a good amount of punishment, Ouma never backed down from his opponent. Taylor was actually on the defensive for much of the fight, I’m surprised that the judges didn’t score the fight a lot closer…
“He came out and fought hard for all 12 rounds,” Taylor said. “He’s a little guy, but he’s very tough.”
“I’m never going to give up. You know me,” said Ouma, who added that he planned to stay at 160 pounds. “I’m a small guy, but I am here to stay.”
Taylor suffered a deep cut during the 5th round over his left eye and the blood continue to stream down throughout the remainder of the fight.
After the fight there was much speculation that Taylor would now face Sergio Mora next and provided that he win, would take on Joe Calzaghe in a showdown this summer. Both fighters have called Taylor out recently and I’m sure they are going to be happy once they hear the rumors…
Wednesday, December 06, 2006
Middleweight champion Jermain Taylor will take on former junior middleweight titleholder Kassim Ouma in his hometown this weekend. This is a good showcase fight for the talented Taylor after two bouts with Bernard Hopkins and a match with clever Winky Wright. Although Ouma is a good fighter with a name and a reputation, do you honestly think team Taylor would pick a boxer they weren’t sure he was going to beat in Little Rock?
Ouma is moving up in weight. Taylor is a big middleweight. I see him soon moving to 168 and eventually to 175. I see Ouma putting up a good fight in the early rounds but Taylor will take over and dominate. I cannot see this fight going the distance.
Then I’ll be ready for Jermain Taylor vs Kelly Pavlik…
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Why don’t they just get married, they want each other so bad. Just kidding, bad joke…
WBO and IBF Super Middleweight Champion Joe Calzaghe has already stated that he has a lot of interest in fighting Jermain Taylor...
Well it just so happens that the WBC and WBO Middleweight belt holder feels the same way.
“Calzaghe is a fight I would love because he’s supposed to be the man there and those are the guys I want,” said Taylor, adding that “Boxing is a job, that’s all. What’s the point of sticking around? To get extra, extra rich? I’m already rich, richer than I ever thought, so I don’t need to be any richer. I’m going to get out and never look back.”
Taylor has said that he will move up in weight next year - I’m guessing that means his fight against Kassim Ouma will be his last at 160 lbs.
Even more surprising is the fact that Taylor is saying he will be ready to retire in 2009 at the age of 30. What the hell is with these younger boxers retiring all of the sudden?
Wednesday, November 08, 2006
NEW YORK - World Middleweight Champion Jermain “Bad Intentions” Taylor will don boxing gloves instead of a Santa suit, but he’ll get the opportunity to deliver a present when he defends his title at home in North Little Rock, Arkansas for the first time on Saturday, December 9 at Alltel Arena. Taylor (25-0-1, 17 KOs) will put his title at stake in front of his hometown fans which will be aired on HBO’s World Championship Boxing beginning at 10:00PM (ET) / 9:00PM (CT) / 7:00PM (PT) when he takes on former World Champion Kassim “The Dream” Ouma (25-2-1, 15 KOs). The 12-round main event is being promoted by DiBella Entertainment in association with Golden Boy Promotions and Peltz Boxing.
Taylor, 28, is one of boxing’s brightest stars and one of Arkansas’ most popular athletes. The fight with Ouma will mark his first defense in his home state. He won the title by defeating the legendary middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins on July 16, 2005, and repeated the win in the rematch on December 3, 2005.
Wednesday, October 25, 2006
How many different fighters is Joe Calzaghe going to call out this year? I understand that it might be part of Frank Warren’s plans but how are opponents supposed to be confident that Calzaghe is serious about setting up a matchup when is challenging other boxers at the same time.
Roy Jones stated that he was going to take Calzaghe’s request to fight him seriously...
Calzaghe claimed that Clinton Woods was afraid of him...
Antontio Tarver decided to turn down Calzaghe, showing no interest…
Calzaghe wants to unify the titles against Mikkel Kessler…
Calzaghe announces his plans to come to America and wanted Bernard Hopkins as his first opponent...
The latest? WBC and WBO Middleweight Champion Jermain Taylor.
“Jermain Taylor is number one for me,” said Calzaghe. “He beat Hopkins, he’s young, undefeated, a massive test.”
Calzaghe discussed Taylor among other things yesterday during a media luncheon in New York City.
His future plans may very well look like this: a February unification bout with Kessler and provided that he is successful, a possible June showdown with Taylor could happen. Date and Location: Madison Square Garden in July maybe?
According to Warren, Taylor’s promoter Lou DiBella has already said the possibility of a fight between the two in the near future is very real. Calzaghe also thinks his chances are real…
“If I fight Taylor like I did versus Lacy, nobody can beat me,” he said. “Nothing’s certain, but I’m confident I’ll win. Jermain Taylor and me would be a megafight.”