Jose Luis Zertuche
Monday, January 29, 2007
Well we weren’t around on Sunday but we are back today with a recap of this weekend’s action…
News, Notes, and Rumors:
- As of this past weekend Oscar De La Hoya has still not found a trainer. As always, Floyd Mayweather Sr. was very vocal about the situation:
“It’s obvious the man is super tight,” Mayweather Sr. said of De La Hoya. “What comes first in this particular situation, greed or the fight? But he can do what he wants. I make money. Money don’t make me. I’m going on with my life.
“Oscar’s fired every trainer he’s had. He’s had all the so-called greats and he’s fired every one of them, but has he fired me? No. And that should tell you something.”
Just like Jack Mosley, Shane Mosley, and Freddie Roach, yet another canidate has thrown his hat into the ring now - Wayne McCullough.
- Some Mikkel Kessler news for you courtesy of Dan Rafael...
American boxing fans anxious to finally see Mikkel Kessler (38-0, 29 KOs) in action will get their wish. The Danish star and unified super middleweight champion was seen on HBO in brief highlights knocking out Markus Beyer in their October unification bout. Now, Kessler will star in his own edition of “Boxing After Dark” (same-day tape) by making his fourth defense against dangerous mandatory challenger Librado Andrade (24-0, 18 KOs) on March 24 in Copenhagen.
- HBO will air a four-part mini-series covering De La Hoya and Mayweather Jr.‘s training up until the night of the fight during the weeks leading up until the fight.
- Jameel McCline underwent successful left knee surgery last Tuesday we just found out to repair the damaged tendon he suffered when his knee gave out during his fight with Nikolai Valuev. McCline is expected to be out of action for about six weeks.
- Zsolt Erdei remained undefeated and retained his WBO Light-Heavyweight crown after stopping Danny Santiago in the second round.
Santiago actually won the first round on the judges’ scorecard but he fell into trouble at the beginning of the second round, being knocked down by a right hand a couple minutes in and then stunned by another right as soon as he got back to his feet, forcing the referee to stop the bout.
- Jorge Arce defeated Julio Ler by unanimous decision on Saturday evening. The most interesting thing about the bout? Well it was probably Arce’s entrance as the flyweight round to the ring on a horse.
- Kelly Pavlik dropped Jose Luis Zertuche in the eighth round of their bout on Saturday night, continuing Pavlik’s quick rise to the top ranks of the middleweight division. The fight was a slugfest, especially the first three rounds where the fighters exchange numerous punches, not stopping for anything.
Pavlik took control in the later rounds however - stunning Zertuche in the sixth and then knocking him out with one final right in the eighth round.
Some Good Reads:
Monday, January 22, 2007
A little bit of news for you as we start a brand new week. For those who haven’t read up on the results of this weekend’s fights, be sure to scroll down and check our latest posts to find out for yourself…
News, Notes, and Rumors:
- Controversial promoter Dan Goossen sent out a press release last week that ripped Bob Arum and Antonio Margarito because Magarito did not give Paul Williams his mandatory title shot, instead choosing for a showdown against Miguel Cotto on June 9th.
Arum said that he is willing to setup the mandatory fight between the two, but the fight cannot happen before June unless Cotto loses when he takes on Oktay Urkal on March 3rd.
Margarito was originally supposed to return to the ring on the undercard of Cotto-Urkal but he is still recovering from a wrist injury that will keep him out of action for a few more weeks.
“(Margarito) can’t fight until (May at the earliest), and why should he fight Williams for no money when he’d have a big-money fight with Cotto there for him in June?” Arum said to Iole. “But if Cotto loses (to Oktay Urkal on March 3), then, sure, (Margarito) wouldn’t blow the title. He’d fight him then.”
Williams can still become the champion however. How? The WBO may decide to strip Margarito of his belt for not meeting Williams in the coming months.
- Former Manny Pacquiao manager Shelley Finkel is apparently warning his former client that the result of the lawsuit between Top Rank and Golden Boy over his contract may not have the result he is hoping for…
- The Las Vegas Review Journal is reporting that Kelly Pavlik and Edison Miranda may take on each other this summer in a matchup that would bring together two of the hardest-hitting middleweights in boxing.
The fight will only go down however if Pavilk sucessfully defeated Jose Luis Zertuche on January 27th as part of an HBO televised card.
Both Top Rank and Warriors Boxing have had several meetings discussing a possible matchup between the two and everything seems to be set in stone if Pavlik wins this weekend.
“I really believe Kelly Pavlik is going to be the next big thing in the middleweight division,” he said. “... He’s exciting. People want to see that,” Arum said.
There is another unusual reason why this fight could also not happen - If Jermain Taylor wants to challenge Miranda this summer according to Miranda’s camp. Why they think Taylor would want him when he still has other top middleweights to rid of in beyond me…
Some Good Reads:
Doghouse Boxing: The Re-Education of the Boxing Fan