Juan Manuel Marquez
Sunday, September 16, 2007
LOS ANGELES – Boxing fans were left disappointed last week by the announcement that the WBC super featherweight title bout between Juan Manuel Marquez and Rocky Juarez was called off due to a Marquez injury, but thanks to some quick work by Golden Boy Promotions and Showtime, this championship bout has been quickly rescheduled – along with the IBF featherweight title bout between Robert Guerrero and Martin Honorio – for Saturday, Nov. 3.
“Marquez-Juarez is a fight the fans wanted to see, and we pulled out all the stops to make it happen before the end of the year,” said Oscar de la Hoya, president of Golden Boy Promotions. “But we couldn’t have done this without Ken Hershman and Showtime. We thank them for helping us put this great fight back on and are excited to be promoting our first Showtime event.”
“Delivering real fights for real fight fans on the first Saturday of every month is our trademark,” said Hershman, senior vice president and general manager, Showtime Sports & Event Programming. “We are excited to be working with Oscar and his company and we’re proud to deliver such a compelling match-up on the network.”
Wednesday, September 05, 2007
LOS ANGELES - Famed pugilists Oscar De La Hoya and Sugar Ray Leonard have made a “friendly” bet on two bouts between fighters from their respective camps, making the September 15 “Fireworks” boxing event, featuring Juan Manuel Marquez against Rocky Juarez in the main event at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas and live on pay-per-view, that much more explosive.
In the first bout, and opening the pay-per-view telecast that evening, Francisco “Panchito” Bojado will represent De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions. His opponent Steve Forbes, will represent the Leonard-hosted ‘The Contender’ Series, as runner-up from Contender Season Two. In the other bout, Golden Boy pugilist and former junior middleweight champion Kassim “The Dream” Ouma will battle Contender first season winner Sergio “The Latin Snake” Mora. The winners of the bouts will decide the winner of the bet between De La Hoya and Leonard with both decorated fighters agreeing that the loser will provide ring card girl duties between the first and second round of the main event. If it’s a draw with one bout a piece for each side, De La Hoya and Leonard will share ring card duties.
Friday, August 17, 2007
LOS ANGELES – Juan Manuel Marquez, the WBC Super Featherweight World Champion, and challenger, Ricardo Rocky Juarez, both weighted in under the WBC 30 day pre-fight weight limit in Mexico City and Houston, from their respective training camps.
Marquez (47-3-1, 35 KO’s) weighed in at 132.1 pounds and Juarez (27-3, 19 KO’s) was 139 pounds. The maximum weight each fighter could weigh 30 days prior to the fight was 143 pounds.
Thursday, February 15, 2007
We focus on the lighter weight-classes this morning…
News, Notes, and Rumors:
- The Boxing Writers Association of America announced their annual awards yesterday. Who were some of the winners?
Fighter of the Year: Manny Pacquaio
Trainer of the Year: Freddie Roach
Fight of the Year: Somsak Sitchatchawal vs Mahyar Monshipour
Pat Putnam Award: Muhammad Ali
Broadcaster of the Year: Steve Albert
- Manny Pacquiao is now saying that he may wait for the winner of Marco Antonio Barrera and Juan Manuel Marquez before he fights again. That would mean his April 14th bout with Jorge Solis is now on hold…
- Speaking of Barrera-Marquez - Two of the undercard fights have been announced: Daniel Ponce De Leon vs Gerry Penalosa and Demetrius Hopkins vs Steve Forbes.
Some Good Reads:
Boxing Scene: Saturday’s Triple-Header: Quantity Over Quality?
Friday, January 26, 2007
It might be the weekend but it’s certainly a slow one in terms of boxing…
News, Notes, and Rumors:
- Muhammad Ali and his wife have bought a $1.8 million dollar home in Louisvlle, Kentucky…
While the reason for the move has not yet been established one of the main reasons was given by the president of the Muhammad Ali Center in Louisville, Mike Fox, who stated that the Ali family tries to come visit the center every other month but the length of the travel is becoming more and more difficult each time for Muhammad.
Ali also owns residences in Berrien Springs, Michigan and Phoenix, Arizona.
- Ulises Solis successfully defended his IBF Junior Flyweight Title last night when his opponent, Will Grigby, failed to answer the bell and get up from his stool when summoned just before the 9th round was to begin.
- Evander Holyfield has dropped M&M Sports as his promoter and signed on with Main Events, the promotion he originally started his career with.
The main reason for Holyfield leaving?
Because the pay-per-view lost so much money due to the poor buyrate and live gate figures, most of the undercard fighters, and Fres Oquendo, were initially stiffed or received checks that bounced. Lou DiBella, who promoted Oquendo at the time of the fight, was close to filing suit against Muhammad.There was a rumor that even Holyfield received a check that bounced, but it was never confirmed. Ironically, while fighters were being stiffed, Muhammad was offering IBF champ Wladimir Klitschko $20 million dollars to face Holyfield.
The New Jersey Herald-News is reporting that Holyfield’s first fight with the promotion will come this spring.
- Joe Calzaghe believes he is the best fighter from the UK, not Ricky Hatton…
“I saw the Hatton fight and it makes me think I could do better,” said Calzaghe. “Hatton looked good for the first four or five rounds, but, for whatever reason, he tired a bit. He won the fight comfortably, but it wasn’t a great fight to watch. I believe I’m the No 1 fighter in the country - and I want to prove myself over there (in America).”
Richard Gutierrez vs Teddy Reid - Uncasville, Connecticut - Junior Middleweight
Kelly Pavlik vs Jose Luis Zertuche - Anaheim, California - Middleweight (HBO)
Jorge Arce vs Julio Roque Ler - Anaheim, California, Junior Bantamweight (HBO)
Victor Oganov vs Richard Grant - Anaheim, California - Super Middleweight (HBO)
Zsolt Erdei vs Danny Santiago - Dusseldorf, Germany - WBO Light-Heavyweight Title
Some Good Reads:
Friday, January 12, 2007
Well while I was gone, Top Rank and Golden Boy apparently sued the shit out of each other…
Anyone want an update?
Well even though there is a lawsuit currently between the two sides, they still tried to come to some kind of agreement to have Marco Antonio Barrera and Manny Pacquiao. That didn’t work out.
Yesterday Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer announced that they have come to terms on a fight between Barrera and Juan Manuel Marquez that will take place on March 17th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
So what about Pac-Man?
The WBC is stating that Pacquiao most likely will take on Jin Chi, who is moving up from featherweight to super featherweight, in Macau on April 28th.
The WBC has also decided not to get in the middle of things between Top Rank and Golden Boy since they could run into litigation problems. The expectations after the two fight is that talks will start up again attempting to pair Pacquiao and Barrera together again.
WBC President Jose Sulaiman breaks it down for us:
Sulaiman said he will allow “both fighters to have the opportunity to have one fight.” He said that once those fights are done the WBC will “immediately proceed with free negotiations, purse offers and all of that” setting a three-week deadline for a purse offer should negotiations fall through even in the midst of the legal battle between contending promoters Golden Boy and Top Rank.
Sulaiman also added that the fighters are eventually going to have to fight or else there will be consequences. What kind of consequences?
If Barrera is victorious over Marquez and decides that he no longer wants to fight Pacquiao, he will be stripped of his title. If Pacquiao no longer wants to fight Barrera, he will no longer be the mandatory challenger for Barrera’s belt.
I’m glad to see the WBC taking action and making things a bit clearer among all of this mess. Hopefully things can be settled quickly in court between De La Hoya and Arum’s promoting monsters…
Thursday, October 19, 2006
Even though Juan Manuel Marquez’s title defense against Jimrex Jaca has been cancelled, Saturday night’s Golden Boy Promotions show will still go on as planned.
What’s the new main event? Daniel Ponce De Leon will put his WBO Junior Featherweight Championship on the line against Al Seeger.
A replacement opponent for Marquez was obviously not able to be found…
Two other bouts will now be televised as well…
In addition, the new TV lineup will include El Paso junior featherweight prospect Antonio Escalante (13-1, 8 KOs) facing Omar Adorno (16-7-1, 10 KOs) in a 12-rounder and former junior bantamweight titlist Gerry Penalosa (50-5-2, 33 KOs)—a Filipino who had no visa issues—facing former bantamweight titlist Mauricio Martinez (31-6-1, 21 KOs) in a 10-round bantamweight bout.
“Of course we’re disappointed that Juan Manuel Marquez won’t be defending his title against Jimrex Jaca on this card,” said Golden Boy president Oscar De La Hoya. “But we’ve decided to make sure fight fans get the most for their money by adding two fights to the card, which may just steal the thunder from the co-main events.”
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
This Saturday’s scheduled bout between Interim WBO Featherweight Champion Juan Manuel Marquez and Jimrex Jaca has been cancelled because of visa issues involving Jaca according to Golden Boy Promotions Eric Gomez.
“He’s been there three times,” Gomez said. “He showed up at the American embassy for a special stamp three times and they turned him away. Supposedly, they are backed up and there’s a big waiting list. They tried getting the mayor of Manila involved, government officials and they didn’t help him.”
The rest of the bouts on the card will go on as planned.
A possible replacement for Jaca is currently being sought for Marquez but the general feeling is that no one will be found. If a replacement is unable to be found, it is rumored that Marquez will return to the ring on November 25th on HBO’s Boxing After Dark.
Wednesday, August 30, 2006
Los Angeles – WBO Junior Featherweight Champion and current Golden Boy Promotions fighter Daniel Ponce De Leon has re-signed a multi-fight deal/multi-year deal with Golden Boy Promotions.
Long regarded as one of boxing’s best, pound for pound, Interim WBO featherweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez has now joined the star-studded roster of Golden Boy Promotions and will once again be able to display his explosive talent worldwide.