Thursday, January 25, 2007
Well the return of Vitali Klitschko means three things: Samuel Peter is getting screwed, the heavyweight division gets that much better, and we will never see the titles unified until he retires again…
News, Notes, and Rumors:
- The Los Angeles Times is reporting that Oscar De La Hoya will not use Floyd Mayweather Sr. as his trainer for his superfight against Mayweather’s son in May. A spokesman from Golden Boy Promotions said that the asking price of $2 Million to train Oscar was way too high and then De La Hoya has rejected the offer for the final time.
Even though he won’t be part of the May superfight unless his son mysteriously asks him to help out which is very unlikely, Mayweather Sr. apparently hasn’t ruled out working with De La Hoya in the future if the opportunity presents itself…
- The British Boxing Board of Control suspended Scott Harrison yesterday after he failed to show up to a scheduled hearing to discuss the cancellation of his fight with Nicky Cook last year. The association released this statement:
Despite confirmation of his attendance received from the office of his manager Barry Hughes, Scott Harrison failed to appear before a tribunal of the stewards scheduled to take place at the board’s offices. Accordingly his licence will remain suspended and he will not be permitted to take part in any boxing contest within the board’s jurisdiction until such time as the stewards permit him to do so.
- Confused about the whole Vitali Klitschko returning situation? This might help...
WBC President Jose Sulaiman says that the decision of Vitali Klitschko to return to boxing will provide a “New air of enthusiasm in the heavyweight division.” As an emeritus champion, or legend, WBC rules mean that Vitali could have an immediate crack at the current champion Oleg Maskaev. But Sulaiman says that the Board of Governors must vote on the next step, and their ruling is expected within ten days.
If they ordered an Eastern block confrontation the winner would then be ordered to fight number one challenger Samuel Peter next. Don Jose said, it depends on the Governors decision, but if the fight happened, he would be happy if took place in Russia. He also revealed that Vitali had discussed with him, the possibility of resuming his ring career as long ago as when the two met at the WBC’s Convention in Croatia last year. Vitali has retired in 2005 due to a knee injury.
But the momentum appreciably gathered pace a few days ago, when Vitali phoned Sulaiman at his home, “full of enthusiasm,” to explain that the doctors have given him a clean bill of health to return, he was back training in the gym and feels great. The WBC is awaiting the medical report. Don Jose said: “In his telephone conversation with me, Vitali was very determined. And I think that Vitali Klitschko’s return will be a progressive injection to the Heavyweight Division. There’s no doubt about that. “He was at his peak when he retired, he’s still at the right age, and so we’ll have to see.”
Some Good Reads:
Monday, January 22, 2007
A little bit of news for you as we start a brand new week. For those who haven’t read up on the results of this weekend’s fights, be sure to scroll down and check our latest posts to find out for yourself…
News, Notes, and Rumors:
- Controversial promoter Dan Goossen sent out a press release last week that ripped Bob Arum and Antonio Margarito because Magarito did not give Paul Williams his mandatory title shot, instead choosing for a showdown against Miguel Cotto on June 9th.
Arum said that he is willing to setup the mandatory fight between the two, but the fight cannot happen before June unless Cotto loses when he takes on Oktay Urkal on March 3rd.
Margarito was originally supposed to return to the ring on the undercard of Cotto-Urkal but he is still recovering from a wrist injury that will keep him out of action for a few more weeks.
“(Margarito) can’t fight until (May at the earliest), and why should he fight Williams for no money when he’d have a big-money fight with Cotto there for him in June?” Arum said to Iole. “But if Cotto loses (to Oktay Urkal on March 3), then, sure, (Margarito) wouldn’t blow the title. He’d fight him then.”
Williams can still become the champion however. How? The WBO may decide to strip Margarito of his belt for not meeting Williams in the coming months.
- Former Manny Pacquiao manager Shelley Finkel is apparently warning his former client that the result of the lawsuit between Top Rank and Golden Boy over his contract may not have the result he is hoping for…
- The Las Vegas Review Journal is reporting that Kelly Pavlik and Edison Miranda may take on each other this summer in a matchup that would bring together two of the hardest-hitting middleweights in boxing.
The fight will only go down however if Pavilk sucessfully defeated Jose Luis Zertuche on January 27th as part of an HBO televised card.
Both Top Rank and Warriors Boxing have had several meetings discussing a possible matchup between the two and everything seems to be set in stone if Pavlik wins this weekend.
“I really believe Kelly Pavlik is going to be the next big thing in the middleweight division,” he said. “... He’s exciting. People want to see that,” Arum said.
There is another unusual reason why this fight could also not happen - If Jermain Taylor wants to challenge Miranda this summer according to Miranda’s camp. Why they think Taylor would want him when he still has other top middleweights to rid of in beyond me…
Some Good Reads:
Doghouse Boxing: The Re-Education of the Boxing Fan
Friday, November 03, 2006
Middleweight contender Kelly Pavlik remained undefeated after stopping Lenord Pierre in the fourth round of their schedule bout last night in Youngstown, Ohio.
Is it just me or does it seem that there is a whole lot of boxing going on in Youngstown these days?
Pavilk destroyed Pierre in every aspect of the fight, knocking him down in the second and fourth rounds and landing power shots at will throughout the rest of the fight.
It was in the fourth where Pavilk floored Pierre with a left hook just 46 seconds in the round. Randy Jarvis was then forced to stop the bout and save Pierre from any further damage.
So what’s next for Pavilk? Any future opponents in mind?
“I am just hoping to get my shot at Taylor or Wright or they should vacate the belts”, said a happy Pavlik about future opponents.
That’s some pretty big thinking there kid…
Everyone’s favorite promoter Bob Arum stated after the fight that Pavilk’s next bout will be January 27th on HBO…
Sunday, August 13, 2006
Cleveland, OH - NABF middleweight champion Kelly “The Ghost” Pavlik (28-0, 25 KO’s) will be a special guest at “Saturday Night Live Boxing: Slugfest on the River” on September 16, 2006 at The Plain Dealer Pavilion. Pavlik, recently coming off a 6th round knockout over veteran Bronco McKart (who had never been stopped before) on the OLN Network, is currently ranked #2 by the WBC, #4 by the WBA and #9 by the IBF. Pavlik will be ringside when the action starts on a card that is gaining momentum very fast.
As mentioned a week ago, Cleveland news personality Sharon Reed from Channel 19 Action News will be handling the ring announcing duties as the “Mistress of Ceremonies”. In addition to Reed’s presence, the fighters on the card are some of the best from Cleveland that include super middleweight Ronald Johnson (8-1, 2 KO’s), light middleweight Juan McPherson (2-0, 2 KO’s) and cruiserweight Aaron Williams (8-0-1, 6 KO’s).