Tuesday, June 19, 2007
Former world cruiserweight champion Krzysztof ‘Diablo’ Wlodarczyk is a warrior, and as such, accepting losses doesn’t come easy to him.
The last man to beat him, current IBF cruiserweight champion Steve Cunningham, is the same way, and after Wlodarczyk gave the American a chance to redeem himself in May, he hopes Cunningham will do the same by agreeing to a rubber match to truly determine who the superior fighter is.
“I think a third match is the only true way to prove who is better,” said Wlodarczyk, who lost a razor-thin majority decision to Cunningham in May after beating him by split decision last November to win the vacant IBF title. “I won the first fight, he won the second, they were both very close, and the fans enjoyed both fights. I know that if we fight again, we will not only settle our score once and for all, but we will give the fans a memorable and meaningful fight.”
Saturday, March 03, 2007
Seminole Warriors Boxing is understandably disturbed at recent comments made by Don King regarding the upcoming rematch between IBF cruiserweight champion Krzysztof Wlodarczyk and challenger Steve Cunningham, where King demanded that Wlodarczyk’s native Poland be excluded from the list of possible sites for the bout.
“This is a disgraceful move by Mr. King and a slap in the face to the great people and diehard fight fans of Poland,” said Sampson Lewkowicz, the advisor to Wlodarczyk. “I spoke to IBF President Marian Muhammad and she unequivocally stated that as long as there are no National security risks or safety issues regarding her officials that she would have no issue with sanctioning this fight in Poland.”
On November 25, 2006, Wlodarczyk scored a 12 round split decision over Cunningham in Warsaw to win the vacant IBF crown. The only judge voting for Cunningham was American Charles Dwyer. He was outvoted by German judge Wallfried Rollert and Polish judge Wlodzmierz Kromka. A purse bid for the IBF mandated rematch will be held on Tuesday, March 6th. The purse bid for the first bout was won by Seminole Warriors boxing with a winning number of $231,100. King’s bid was a paltry $106,000.
“We have great faith in the IBF and their officials and we are sure both fighters will get a fair shake wherever this bout is held,” said Lewkowicz. “Unfortunately, Mr. King’s grandstanding doesn’t match his willingness to open his wallet, otherwise he would bid enough to win the purse bid and stage the fight wherever he wants to. As for us, we are more than happy to return to Poland, where a packed house will be waiting to welcome back the new champion for his first title defense.”
Tuesday, February 27, 2007
PHILADELPHIA — No. 3-ranked International Boxing Federation cruiserweight contender Steve “USS” Cunningham said Poland should be removed from consideration to host his IBF-ordered rematch with Krzysztof Wlodarczyk in favor of a country with a proven track record of staging fair contests.
When Cunningham, from America, and Wlodarczyk, from Poland, met for the vacant IBF cruiserweight title in Warsaw on Nov. 25, it was the first world championship ever staged in Poland. Unfortunately, the event was mired in controversy long before Wlodarczyk was awarded a disputed split-decision victory.
“I thought Poland and most of the people I met in Warsaw were great,” Cunningham said, “but I don’t think they’re capable of staging a fair fight especially when one of their own is in the ring.”
Tuesday, November 21, 2006
HOLLYWOOD, FL – 25-year old cruiserweight sensation Krzysztof Wlodarczyk will get his long-awaited shot at a world title on Saturday, November 25th when he takes on unbeaten US contender Steve Cunningham for the vacant IBF cruiserweight championship in a bout which will be televised live over the Internet at http://www.VideoSport.com/boxing from Warsaw, Poland.
Also in action, undefeated cruiserweight contender Vadim Tokarev will make his first ring appearance since his stunning fourth round TKO of previously undefeated Felix Cora Jr. in May when he defends his NABF championship against Shane Swartz in a 12 round contest.
The pride of Warsaw, Krzysztof Wlodarczyk (36-1, 27 KOs) has suffered just one controversial technical decision loss in his career (in 2003), and has since gone on to win 16 fights in a row. Included on his victims list are former world champion Imamu Mayfield and German standout Rudiger May.