Thursday, February 22, 2007
News, Notes, and Rumors:
- Lalia Ali will participate in the next edition of ABC’s Dancing With The Stars…
- Jim Lampley was sentenced to three years of probation after pleading no contest to a misdemeanor charge of violating a restraining order. He was also was ordered to stay away from Candice Sanders as well, a continuation of the restraining order.
- Joel Casamayor was stripped of his WBC Lightweight Title for discussing a fight between himself and WBO Lightweight belt holder Acelino Freias. David Diaz has now been named the WBC champ. Strict I know…
Casamayor and his promotional company released this statement
Santa Barbara Management strongly disagrees with the decision of the WBC to strip Joel Casamayor of his Lightweight Championship. Joel won his title the way a true champion should, in the ring. He has done nothing to justify this outrageous decision by the WBC and we are considering all of our options, legal or otherwise. Joel and everyone at Santa Barbara Management would like to thank all of the fans and others within the boxing community who have phoned and emailed us to show their support.
- Reports are coming out that Nikolai Valuev will make a mandatory title defense against Ruslan Chagaev on April 14th in Germany like we previously reported. Just another reason to stay on top of us for the latest news…
- Tommy Morrison will speak in an interview after his fight tonight according to Versus…
VERSUS will have a pre-taped interview with Tommy Morrison as well as a live interview during the telecast tomorrow night as part of its VERSUS Fight Night in collaboration with Top Rank Boxing at 9 p.m. ET from the Mountaineer Race Track & Gaming Resort in Chester, West Virginia.
Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Current WBC Women’s Light Heavyweight Champion Laila Ali, the daughter of Muhammad Ali, is set to make her debut at Madison Square Garden on November 11th as part of the Wladimir Klitschko-Calvin Brock undercard.
“I’m excited to be at Madison Square Garden, the mecca of boxing,” Ali said. “There’s a lot of pressure being Ali’s daughter, but I always try to do my best. I’ve got to do my thing—he’s already done his thing.”
The fight was signed just days ago and an opponent should be named in the coming weeks according to Ali’s advisor, Damon Bingham.
Now for the million dollar question: Will The Greatest of All-Time be making the trip as well?
“It just depends on how he feels,” Laila said. “He has his good days and bad days. He has a disease, so it’s something that he deals with. But he’s still traveling and getting around the world. People are always concerned about him. I don’t have the energy to do as much as he does.”