Saturday, February 10, 2007
Ricky Hatton was forced to give up his IBF Junior Welterweight Title after deciding to go ahead and face Jose Luis Castillo on June 23rd rather than defending his belt against the IBF’s mandatory challenger, Lovemore N’dou.
The June 23rd date is not yet set in stone as June 2nd is the other possible date that HBO has available to televise the bout…
The decision was made once one of Hatton’s promoters announced that his client would be fighting Castillo this summer:
“We had an agreement in place to fight Castillo next on June 23 on HBO, and after the fight with Urango we announced that fight at the press conference,” said Artie Pelullo, Hatton’s American co-promoter.
The decision was officially announced to the IBF yesterday…
Said Dennis Hobson, Hatton’s British co-promoter: “We informed the IBF by letter Friday night that we are moving on to the super fight with Castillo in June without the IBF title. Ricky is very proud to be a two-time IBF champion, and, speaking as a promoter, the IBF have always been great to work with. This is a decision we’d have preferred not to have had to make, but, having thought long and hard about it, I believe this is the best way forward for Ricky.”
While it hasn’t been actually announced yet, various reports are coming out of Australia saying that N’dou will be given the belt and then be forced to fight mandatory challenger Demetrius Hopkins providing that Hopkins defeats Contender alumni Steve Forbes on March 17th.
Wednesday, February 07, 2007
A shot at World Cruiserweight Champion Krzysztof Wlodarczyk will be on the line later this year when highly regarded unbeatens Vadim Tokarev (23-0-1, 16 KOs) and Marco Huck (18-0, 14 KOs) will meet in a 12 round elimination bout recently ordered by the International Boxing Federation (IBF).Ekaterinburg, Russia’s Tokarev is currently ranked third in the world by the IBF; Huck, a native of Yugoslavia now making his home in Berlin, Germany, is ranked fourthThe IBF has given both parties until February 16th to come to terms for what is destined to be an unforgettable battle.
“I’m pleased that the IBF has ordered this elimination bout and we’re excited at the prospect of promoting it here at the Seminole Hard Rock Live Arena in Florida or in Vadim’s home country of Russia,” said Leon Margules, Executive Director of Seminole Warriors Boxing, Tokarev’s promoter. “Either way, Vadim will be the crowd favorite, as he is not only a hero in Russia, but he has built a huge following of fans in Florida after his four round blowout over Felix Cora last May. He is the rare fighter that can appeal to all fight fans, whether here or abroad.”
Friday, February 02, 2007
Happy Groundhog Day everybody! We have a busy weekend ahead of us…
News, Notes, and Rumors:
- The WBC announced yesterday that it has stripped the WBC Flyweight Title from Omar Nino because Nino has tested positive for methamphetamine according to post-fight testing results done after his November 18th bout against Brian Viloria.
Ironically Viloria and Edgar Sosa will fight for the title in the coming months. The winner of that bout will then have to face Nino who has been giving number one contender status since he was unaware that the drug had been put into his system.
“In light of the fact that the WBC believes that Nino did not voluntarily commit this infraction and considering that his clean record has won him the trust of this organization ... we are declaring that Nino will be the challenger for whoever is the new champion,” a WBC statement said.
- The Saint Louis Post-Dispatch is reporting that Felix Trinidad will be at ringside to watch Cory Spinks fight Rodney Jones this weekend. He’s just going to see a decent bout, right? Not exactly…
Spink’s trainer, Kevin Cunningham, has confirmed that Trinidad will be at ringside with Don King to scout Spinks as a possible opponent in the near future…
“Don’s bringing Felix Trinidad in for this fight,” Cunningham said. “He might come out of retirement. Fernando Vargas is another possibility. But my thing is this: We want to keep chugging away, keep grinding. And eventually that big marquee fight will be there for us. And hopefully we can bring another big fight back to St. Louis.’‘
- Paulie Malignaggi will be the in-studio guest for ESPN’s Friday Night Fights this evening…
Zuri Lawrence vs Dominick Guinn - Rochester, New York - Heavyweight (ESPN 2)
James Kirkland vs Billy Lyell - Santa Ynez, California - Junior Middleweight (Showtime)
Timothy Bradley vs Manuel Garnica - Santa Ynez, California - Junior Welterweight (Showtime)
Tomasz Adamek vs Chad Dawson - Kissimmee, Florida - WBC Light Heavyweight Title (Showtime)
Jesus Chavez vs Julio Diaz - Kissimmee, Florida - IBF Lightweight Title (Showtime)
Cory Spinks vs Rodney Jones - Kissimmee, Florida - IBF Junior Middleweight Title (Showtime)
Laila Ali vs Gwendolyn O’Neil - Kempton Park, South Africa - Women’s Super Middleweight Title
Naoufel Ben Rabah vs Lovemore Ndou - Sydney, Australia - IBF Junior Welterweight Title Eliminator
Paul Briggs vs Andre Thysse - Sydney, Australia - Light Heavyweight
Sakio Bika vs Rupert Van Aswegen - Sydney, Australia - Super Middleweight
Some Good Reads
Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Comebacking former two-time world heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko will be in Miami for Sunday’s Super Bowl game between the Indianapolis Colts and Chicago Bears.
“I am very excited about the game and looking forward to seeing it live,” the ex-World Boxing Council (WBC) and World Boxing Organization (WBO) heavyweight titleholder said. “This will be my second Super Bowl. I also went to the big game in Houston in 2004.’’
Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Trust me, if I was in Samuel Peter’s position, I’d be a little ticked off too…
If this whole thing sounds just a bit familar, it’s probably because we have been through this already. Peter was supposed to get a title shot after beating James Toney the first time around. Then Oleg Maskaev took a voluntary defense before the deadline of 2007 and defeated Peter Okhello. So Peter went ahead and beat Toney once again.
Now it’s time for a title shot right? Not exactly…
We told you a while back that Vitali Klitschko was seriously thinking about attempting a comeback. Well now rumors are swirling that his official return to boxing is only weeks away. Of course it tends to not be a rumor anymore once the president of the WBC is actually speaking to Vitali about fighting in the coming months.
Jose Sulaiman is currently awaiting a phone call from Vitali and his camp about the opportunity of getting an immediate title shot against Maskaev. Vitali was originally promised an immediate title shot if he decided to come out of retirement from injury. It looks like he actually may get it.
That would mean that Vitali would be jumping right over Peter in the rankings and would receive a title shot before him. Rightfully so, Peter is pretty pissed off about this whole thing. Sulaiman however just wishes that everyone would calm down for the time being…
“I am waiting to hear something back from Vitali,” Sulaiman said. “Vitali contacts me directly from the Ukraine or wherever he is. He called me a week ago speaking about this comeback. It’s very clear that an immediate title shot is what Vitali wants. I took notice of that just as I have taken notice of (complaints from) Dino Duva, Don King and Iyavailo Gotzev made on behalf of top contender Samuel Peter.”
Sulaiman may say that he is going to hear arguments from both sides but it’s obvious what he wants to do as of right now. Peter knows that too:
“It’s a disgrace! I fought my way into this position without taking shortcuts. I paid my sanctioning fees not once, but twice. I wasn’t even supposed to fight the second time, but people were questioning their judges, so I fought again to prove myself. They’re trying to take away everything I worked for all those years. I’m number one and they’re going to have a very big problem if they allow this. They are putting their own hands in the fire and making a big mistake.”
Why did he (Klitschko) wait till I beat Toney the second time to say he was coming back? Why not announce before? Because he’s not a true champion. He got his title when Lennox Lewis retired. And now he wants to fight Maskaev, who is also not a true champion because he’s avoiding me. Let me go against Maskaev and I’ll knock him out and then I’ll knock out both Klitschko brothers on the same night!
They tried to bribe me to get me to shut up. I don’t care about money. I want the heavyweight championship. I came to the United States six years ago and I’ve worked very hard to be in this position. They are all going to pay for this!”
If boxers can be measured by the words they say, then Peter is an animal. If that Superfighter thing ever gets started up again, Peter should lay out an open challenge to both Klitschko brothers and see what they say…
Thursday, January 18, 2007
Another birthday wish goes to Ali. There won’t be any recap news or anything like that in this edition, I think we covered everything in our giant post yesterday…
News, Notes, and Rumors:
- Want to see Mayweather-De La Hoya on May 5th? I’m not kidding, there are still tickets left, about 4,000, well that’s all that’s left after every sponsor, celebrity, fighter, politician, promoter, employee, and official related to the fight took what they needed. (They needed 12,832 tickets by the way…)
The tickets go on sale January 27th at 10 AM. The prices? Tickets are priced at $2,000, $1,500, $1,000, $750, $350 and $150 and the tickets that are priced from $350 down are limited to only two per person. Everything else can be purchased to a maximum of six tix per human being.
- How about an update on this drama involving Floyd Mayweather Sr. and whether or not he is going to train De La Hoya for his fight against Mayweather Jr. No deal has been made between the two sides yet but there is an interesting twist that has been revealed.
The New York Daily News is reporting that Jack and Shane Mosley would be interested in helping De La Hoya train for the bout:
Jack Mosley stated. “I’ve got the plan to do the job. I can tell him what he needs to do. I can show him. If I can’t show him, then Shane can definitely show him. He’ll have two people who can advise him.”
- Anyone need a car? Frank Bruno is selling his...
For the price of $42,318, you can be the lucky owner, assuming we don’t beat you to the punch, of former heavyweight champion of world Frank Bruno’s BMW X5. The 2002 model SUV is powered by a 4.4-litre V8, producing 320bhp and 324 lb/ft of pulling power. It accelerates from 0 to 60 in 7.8 seconds, useful if one is being chased by rapid fans or belligerent creditors, and has a top speed of 137 mph for quick getaways.
The set of wheels is fully-loaded with sat-nav, front and rear TV screens, DVD player, a PlayStation, you name it. Other features include full leather interior, climate and cruise control and huge 22-inch AC Schnitzer alloy wheels.
- WBC President Jose Sulaiman stated earlier today that Marco Antonio Barrera and Manny Pacquiao will most likely fight after everything in court is settled after the summer…
- Undefeated WBA Heavyweight Champion Nikolai Valuev is determined to break Rocky Marciano’s ancient record of 49 straight wins. He gave his thoughts when asked about the possibility of going after the record at a news conference today promoting his fight with Jameel McCline this weekend…
“I definitely want to break his record,” the undefeated WBA champion vowed at today´s press conference in Basle. “If there´s the chance to get your name in the history books with such a great record, it is of course my aim to accomplish it. But that does not mean I will fight weak opponents.”
Some Good Reads:
Friday, January 12, 2007
Well while I was gone, Top Rank and Golden Boy apparently sued the shit out of each other…
Anyone want an update?
Well even though there is a lawsuit currently between the two sides, they still tried to come to some kind of agreement to have Marco Antonio Barrera and Manny Pacquiao. That didn’t work out.
Yesterday Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer announced that they have come to terms on a fight between Barrera and Juan Manuel Marquez that will take place on March 17th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
So what about Pac-Man?
The WBC is stating that Pacquiao most likely will take on Jin Chi, who is moving up from featherweight to super featherweight, in Macau on April 28th.
The WBC has also decided not to get in the middle of things between Top Rank and Golden Boy since they could run into litigation problems. The expectations after the two fight is that talks will start up again attempting to pair Pacquiao and Barrera together again.
WBC President Jose Sulaiman breaks it down for us:
Sulaiman said he will allow “both fighters to have the opportunity to have one fight.” He said that once those fights are done the WBC will “immediately proceed with free negotiations, purse offers and all of that” setting a three-week deadline for a purse offer should negotiations fall through even in the midst of the legal battle between contending promoters Golden Boy and Top Rank.
Sulaiman also added that the fighters are eventually going to have to fight or else there will be consequences. What kind of consequences?
If Barrera is victorious over Marquez and decides that he no longer wants to fight Pacquiao, he will be stripped of his title. If Pacquiao no longer wants to fight Barrera, he will no longer be the mandatory challenger for Barrera’s belt.
I’m glad to see the WBC taking action and making things a bit clearer among all of this mess. Hopefully things can be settled quickly in court between De La Hoya and Arum’s promoting monsters…
Thursday, January 11, 2007
WBA Middleweight Champion Mariano Carrera has tested positive for Clembuterol, a banned substance according to post-fight test results from his December 2nd victory over Javier Castillejo.
Carrera however states that he is completely innocent and did nothing wrong.
The WBA, which tested Carrera’s sample in Germany, still is awaiting confirmation of the positive result of another one of his samples. Under WBA rules, the second test has to be made in a neutral country, and by a different lab. That means they will be getting stone cold results as to whether Carrera took an illegal drug or not…
Carrera’s agent said that his client didn’t use any banned substances:
“Mariano assures he didn’t take anything and I believe him. We are following the case closely,” Mario Margossian, Carrera’s agent, told ESPNdeportes.com.
The B sample test will probably take place next week and won’t happen in Germany. “We won’t question the place. We’ll follow the appropriate steps,” Margossian said.
Margossian did mention that Carrera was taking flu medicine during his training for the fight and that may be one of the causes in testing positive.
I did a little research and I found that Clembuterol isn’t taken for symptoms of the flu but rather breathing problems that a person may have. Either way, it’s going to be interesting to see how this one turns out…
Wednesday, December 13, 2006
The US Ethics Committee has ruled that Incoming Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid did not break any rules when he accepted free ringside seats to boxing matches between 2003 and 2005.
Reid attended three events in Las Vegas over the past three years without paying and using credentials that were provided by the Nevada State Athletic Comission. Why was he given free tickets besides being a Senator? At the time, he was supporting legistlation that would create a federal agency to oversee the sport of boxing.
The Nevada State Athletic Comission actually opposed his efforts. So wait, why the hell are they giving him free stuff then? I haven’t found out any official reasons as to why from the NSAC but I’m thinking that they wanted to show him boxing is fine as it is and doens’t need any federal beings watching their every move.
The bill was never passed for those of you who are wondering…
Reid said that attended the events helped him understand boxing regulations and the legislation that he was supported. However, the move looked shady to other politicans and they basically called him on it. Reid has stated that he will never accept any such gifts like that ever again.
Yeah right - I’m sure that politicans get gifts way more expensive than free boxing tickets.
There is actually a rule that sets the limits on accepting gifts to nothing over $50 except when the gift is coming from the government. Not that it gets followed or anything like that…
Sunday, November 19, 2006
For both, this was probably the biggest fight of their careers: One will ascend up the heavyweight rankings and have a chance at championship gold at some point next year. The other may be on his way to a path towards obscurity…
Ruslan Chagaev won a split decision victory over John Ruiz in Germany on Saturday night, earning the Uzbekistan native a shot at Nikolai Valuev and the WBA Heavyweight Title.
Even though Chagaev seemed to be the clear winner at the end of the fight, he barely squeezed out a win thanks to another judge who thought completely different than the rest. That lone wolf scored it 115-114 for the Ruiz with the other two scoring it 116-112 and 117-111 for Chagaev.
However Valuev who watched the fight at ringside knew who the true winner was…
“Chagaev won two or three rounds more than Ruiz, the win was earned,” said Valuev.
Both fighters landed their fair share of good shots throughout the fight - Chagaev stunned Ruiz with punches in the fifth and eighth rounds but Ruiz managed to keep his composure and stay on his feet.
Ruiz rocked Chagaev with an uppercut late in the 11th round but it wasn’t enough to hurt his opponent nor turn the tide in his favor.