Friday, September 14, 2007
Joe DeGuardia’s Star Boxing announced today that the 12 round IBF Welterweight Championship title fight between Jesse Feliciano 14-5-3 (8KO’s) and Champion Kermit Cintron 28-1 (26KO’s) is back on the under card of the rescheduled Fernando Vargas- Ricardo Mayorga card November 23, from the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Live on PPV.
“I am pleased that Jesse will be getting his opportunity at the World title. Both fighters were preparing diligently and it is rewarding that the fight has come together again,” said DeGuardia.
“We are happy this fight is back on track, I am in great shape and ready to go. I can’t wait, one way or another we will fight. I have waited too long, this is a big fight and winning puts me back on top. I don’t even think about losing, I am coming for the title. I want to thank my training team and my promoter Joe DeGuardia for their support and hard work,” said Feliciano.
Thursday, September 13, 2007
SACRAMENTO - Promoter Don King, in association with Maloof Sports & Entertainment, will present two world championship boxing matches at ARCO Arena on Saturday, Sept. 29 where the main event will feature a battle of “The Undefeated” with World Boxing Council light heavyweight champion “Bad” Chad Dawson opposing WBC No. 1-ranked mandatory challenger Adrian “The Shark” Diaconu.
NEW YORK - While most fight fans at Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall and those viewing live on HBO World Championship Boxing on September 29th are anticipating the World Middleweight Championship bout between champion Jermain “Bad Intentions” Taylor and #1 challenger Kelly “The Ghost” Pavlik, they will also be treated to a co-main event featuring two of the welterweight division’s elite in a crossroads battle. Fast rising Andre Berto will square off against fellow Floridian David Estrada in a 12-round bout for the vacant NABF welterweight title as well as a stronger foothold in the sports most exciting division.
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
LOS ANGELES - Sports and Entertainment Publications, LLC, is extremely pleased to announce the acquisition of the following titles from Kappa Publishing Group, Inc.: The Ring magazine, KO, World Boxing and Pro Wrestling Illustrated, which are the leading periodicals in the boxing and wrestling industry. Sports and Entertainment Publications, LLC, is an autonomous member of Golden Boy Enterprises family of companies.
The Ring was founded in 1922 and is known in the industry as “The Bible of Boxing.” It pioneered the concept of boxing rankings and has been awarding the prestigious Ring championship belt to genuine world champions since then-heavyweight champion Jack Dempsey was the first recipient. Pro Wrestling Illustrated was launched in 1979 by Stanley Weston and is acknowledged as the number one independently published pro wrestling magazine in the world.
“We have a very skilled and capable team at The Ring, headed by Publisher Stu Saks and Editor-in-Chief Nigel Collins, and I have all the confidence that these magazines will not only continue to prosper, but in fact grow globally,” said Oscar de la Hoya, president of Golden Boy Enterprises. “These magazines will be held in an editorial trust where they will be operating totally independent of any influence from me or others from the Golden Boy Companies as it relates to editorial direction or content.”
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Star Boxing announced today that Delvin Rodriguez has challenged the “No-Contest” result that was declared after the fight between Delvin Rodriguez 20-2-1 (12KO’s) and Keenan Collins 12-2-1 (8KO’s) was stopped between the 2nd and 3rd rounds. The fight was aired live on ESPN2’s “Friday Night Fights” from the Utopia Paradise Theater in the Bronx, NY on August 24.
A vicious right hand from Rodriguez opened a deep cut above the left eye of Keenan Collins in the second round. Rodriguez went on a measured head and body attack and had Collins ready to go as the bell sounded to end the round.
Collins corner realizing their fighter was in trouble urged the ringside doctor to stop the fight. The referee, Eddie Claudio announced the cut was caused by an accidental head butt and the fight was ruled a “No Contest.”
Rivera Promotions, the newest boxing promotion company in New England, will launch its first show Sept. 21 at the National Guard Armory in Worcester with an exciting card featuring two local heavyweights making their professional debuts.
The main event will feature Todd Poulton, a resident of Pittsfield who his accomplishing his lifelong dream to box in a professional match. Poulton is also fighting for charity, hoping the event will raise awareness of the stresses of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, an ailment that he has suffered throughout his adult life.
Despite their current contract dispute, promoter Dino Duva is sending his support to junior welterweight contender Kendall “Rated R” Holt and his quest to secure a rematch against WBO Champion Ricardo Torres.
Holt (22-2, 12 KOs) suffered a controversial eleventh-round stoppage during his challenge of Torres last week at Salon Jumbo del Country Club in Barranquilla, Colombia.
Allegations have been leveled of bottles being thrown, ringside personnel grabbing Holt, an early stoppage by the referee, and a dangerous lack of order during the fight.
“After reviewing some highlights from the fight, I just want to say that I support Kendall’s bid for an immediate rematch. I think it’s warranted and the right thing for the WBO to do. There were a number of improprieties evident to me in watching the tape.”
Friday, September 07, 2007
Antonio DeMarco (left) weighed in at 136 pounds, while Nick Casal tipped the scales at 135 1/2 pounds Thursday. Hard-hitting lightweights DeMarco (15-1-1, 12 KOs) and Casal (16-1-1, 1 NC, 12 KOs) will clash in the 10-round main event of “ShoBox: The New Generation’’ Friday on Showtime (11 p.m. ET/PT)
NEW YORK – Showtime once again will bring the action to fight fans as America’s No. 1 boxing network pits two can’t-miss lightweight prospects, Antonio DeMarco and Nick “Hands of Gold” Casal, in a 10-round lightweight battle Friday, Sept. 7, on “ShoBox: The New Generation” (Showtime, 11 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the west coast).
Opening the telecast are the flashy and undefeated junior middleweights, Alfredo “El Perro” Angulo (9-0, six KOs) of Mexicali, Mexico, and Emmanuel Gonzalez (9-0, four KOs) of Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico. Both fighters will put their unblemished records on the line in an eight-round scrap that will be a rematch of a 2002 amateur match-up. Gary Shaw Productions, LLC, will present the doubleheader from the Chumash Casino Resort in Santa Ynez, Calif.
On Friday, September 7th, Golden Boy Promotions in conjunction with Desert Diamond Casino is giving Southern Arizona boxing fans another taste of elite boxing. The scheduled six bout fight card includes the NABO Bantamweight Championship bout where former Olympian Abner Mares takes on fellow Mexican, Isidro Garcia. As an added bonus, former world champion Roberto Duran will be on hand as a special guest.
The NABO Bantamweight Title fight main event pits Abner Mares (13-0 8 KOs) against Isidro “El Chino” Garcia (24-3-2 8 KOs). Mares, a 2004 Olympian for Team Mexico was quickly signed by Golden Boy Promotions following his international spotlight. With no title bouts to his name, this will be the highly-touted Mares first attempt to rise into the elite class of the bantamweight division. He has chosen a stiff test as he takes on the more experienced Garcia, who to date has already competed in ten title fights, including the infamous 1999 last minute battle against Jose Lopez for the WBO Flyweight belt.
Headlining the co-main event is Mexico’s Antonio Escalante (15-2 9 KOs). A former Golden Gloves Champion as an amateur, Escalante has proven himself as a professional fighter with his multiple title wins and his recent defeat of Paulino Villalobos at the Diamond Center on July 27th. Escalante will go ten rounds in the featherweight division against Colombia’s Feider Viloria (20-1-1 14 KOs). As WBO Latino’s number two rank in the jr. lightweight class, Viloria is making his first showing inside the U.S.
The undercard features Nestor Rocha (17-0 5 KOs) out of California in an 6-round jr. featherweight bout against Puerto Rico’s Jonas Hernandez (6-1 2 KOs). Returning to Desert Diamond Casino is Scotland’s Craig McEwan (6-0 5 KOs), New York’s Darrel Madison (5-1 3 KOs) and Nogales rising star, Adan Leal (6-0 5 KOs). Leal will face Julio Perez (4-6 3 KOs) and Madison will go up against Corey Winfield (2-1 2 KOs). McEwan’s opponent is Maryland native, Nick Collins (4-2 4 KOs).
Thursday, September 06, 2007
Promoter Don King, in association with Maloof Sports and Entertainment, will present a highly anticipated world championship battle of the undefeated at ARCO Arena on Saturday, Sept. 29, when World Boxing Council light heavyweight champion “Bad” Chad Dawson takes on WBC No. 1-ranked mandatory challenger Adrian “The Shark” Diaconu, from Romania now fighting out of Montreal, Canada.
“I couldn’t be more excited to be promoting this light heavyweight championship with the Maloofs at ARCO Arena on Sept. 29,” an ebullient Don King said. “We are looking forward to bringing World Championship Boxing to a region with such rich boxing heritage.”
“The Maloof family loves the sport of boxing going all the way back to my father,” Gavin Maloof said. “We are proud to be bringing Don King to Sacramento to promote this world championship card at ARCO Arena. It will be a great event for boxing fans in Sacramento.”