Friday, January 19, 2007
Not much news at all yesterday so today’s post will be a little shorter than usual if you don’t mind…
News, Notes, and Rumors:
- As we reported yesterday, Don King has found a home in Florida for his February 3rd ‘Super Saturday’ card that will be broadcast on Showtime…
- Ricky Hatton was actually asked to be on the reality show Big Brother this past year but he promptly declined:
“It took me three seconds to turn down Big Brother. I could not stand being in a house for a month with people saying, ‘Ricky, your cup is not on the coaster or you’ve not done the washing up’. Those people are just faking it to get votes and that’s not me.”
- Rumors circulated yesterday that Acelino Freitas was not fighting Joel Casamayor and that he was instead taking on David Diaz in April. Freitas quickly took it upon himself to clear things up announcing that will be fighting Casamayor, making the fight all but official instead close to being done.
- Lou Savarese defeated Travis Fulton last night in the fourth round when the referee was forced to stop the fight and save Fulton from a further beating. Savarese dropped Fulton three times in the second round and twice more in the fourth before the referee decided that Fulton had enough.
- I wasn’t able to find anything on the results of Ricco Rodriguez’s bout but when I do I’ll be sure to make note of it on here…
Randall Bailey vs Michael Warrick - Key West, Florida - Junior Welterweight
Juan Manuel Lopez vs Cuahtemoc Vargas - Phoenix, Arizona - Junior Featherweight (Showtime)
Ricky Hatton vs Juan Urango - Las Vegas, Nevada - IBF Junior Welterweight Title
Jose Luis Castillo vs Herman Ngoudjo - Las Vegas, Nevada - WBC Junior Welterweight Eliminator
Nikolai Valuev vs Jameel McCline - Basel, Switzerland - WBA Heavyweight Title
Junior Witter vs Arturo Morua - London, England - WBC Junior Welterweight Title
Danny Green vs Paul Murdoch - Melbourne, Australia - Light-Heavyweight
Some Good Reads:
Tuesday, January 16, 2007
On the heels of Tommy Morrison testing negative, we have Mayweather and Hopkins speaking up, George Foreman traveling, the return of a former heavyweight champion, the pro boxing debut of a former UFC heavyweight champ, a major fight announcement and much more…
News, Notes, and Rumors:
- What is it about English fighters that people find so intriguing? I mean really, if you followed this site over the summer, you would see how much media coverage both Ricky Hatton and Joe Calzaghe got. They were always calling out the big names, always changing their minds about who they wanted to fight.
These days it’s the exact opposite with the elite American fighters wanting a piece of them.
Bernard Hopkins has shown interest in Calzaghe, hoping that he will move up a weight-class and fight him later this year:
“After Jones I hope he’ll come up to light-heavyweight to challenge me.” said Hopkins.
Calzaghe also met with Sylvester Stallone this past weekend at a boxing gala event as Stallone was making a trip over to the UK and Calzaghe was one of the people he wanted to meet the most.
Calzaghe said of the meeting with the famed Movie star:,“Sly was great. He’s just a normal guy. He turned up for the dinner by himself. There was no entourage. He said he wanted to meet me after seeing my recent win against Jeff Lacy. He said he was a fan of mine and had seen me fight many times but I told him I had seen him fight a lot more in the movies.”
Calzaghe added: “I value Sly’s opinion. He’s in great nick for a man of 60. He has the body of a 30-year-old. It was great to hear him tell us about Hollywood.”
Apparently calling out Floyd Mayweather Jr. 1000 times is going to pay off for Hatton as Pretty Boy Floyd will be ringside for his fight this weekend against Juan Urango. Even better, he’s going there because of him…
“I’m looking forward to getting an up close and personal look at Hatton so that I can make my mind up on whether I might want to fight him.” explained Mayweather.
- Former heavyweight champion Lou Savarese will continue his comeback this Thursday when he takes on MMA veteran Travis Fulton in an event promoted by himself and his business partner Cameron Park.
- On the same card as Savarese and Fulton, former UFC Heavyweight Champion Ricco Rodriguez will be makig his pro boxing debut.
- DRL Promotions has announced that WBC Lightweight Champion Joel Casamayor will defend his title in a rematch against Acelino Freitas. Freitas won the first fight between the two in 2002 by a close split decision in a fight that Casamayor would have won if he didn’t have two points deducted during the fight for illegal blows.
There is no date set for the fight as of yet but it is expected to be televised on HBO…
- George Foreman is reportedly traveling to the Middle East to promote his famous George Foreman Grill machines. He will be visiting the Mall of the Emirates in Dubai to do an expo on his product.
Some Good Reads:
The Sweet Science: Looking Forward To More In The New Year: Part II; Brooklyn southpaw Luis Collazo is ready for Pomona’s Sugar Shane
Eastside Boxing: Big Name Heavyweights James Toney Could Still Defeat