Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Two boxers arrested in one day? Impossible…
Former WBC Junior Middleweight Champion Ricardo Mayorga was arrested on Tuesday in Nicaragua on charges of fraud.
Mayorga was picked up by police while he was boarding a plane that was headed for the United States.
He was arrested for apparently failing to pay back Ramiro Sandino, a popular used car salesman in the country, $56,000 for four cars Mayorga has purchased in December 2005. Mayorga had promised to pay the full amount for the vehicles right after his fight with Oscar De La Hoya on May 6th of last year. However months went by and Mayorga never gave Sandino the payment.
Guess who else was arrested? That’s right, former WBO Featherweight Champ Scott Harrison was arrested AGAIN on drug charges in Scotland.
Harrison has a busy week ahead of him - He will have to appear in court tomorrow to deal with his newly acquired drug charges and on Friday again in Spain for charges of grand theft auto.
Thursday, January 25, 2007
Well the return of Vitali Klitschko means three things: Samuel Peter is getting screwed, the heavyweight division gets that much better, and we will never see the titles unified until he retires again…
News, Notes, and Rumors:
- The Los Angeles Times is reporting that Oscar De La Hoya will not use Floyd Mayweather Sr. as his trainer for his superfight against Mayweather’s son in May. A spokesman from Golden Boy Promotions said that the asking price of $2 Million to train Oscar was way too high and then De La Hoya has rejected the offer for the final time.
Even though he won’t be part of the May superfight unless his son mysteriously asks him to help out which is very unlikely, Mayweather Sr. apparently hasn’t ruled out working with De La Hoya in the future if the opportunity presents itself…
- The British Boxing Board of Control suspended Scott Harrison yesterday after he failed to show up to a scheduled hearing to discuss the cancellation of his fight with Nicky Cook last year. The association released this statement:
Despite confirmation of his attendance received from the office of his manager Barry Hughes, Scott Harrison failed to appear before a tribunal of the stewards scheduled to take place at the board’s offices. Accordingly his licence will remain suspended and he will not be permitted to take part in any boxing contest within the board’s jurisdiction until such time as the stewards permit him to do so.
- Confused about the whole Vitali Klitschko returning situation? This might help...
WBC President Jose Sulaiman says that the decision of Vitali Klitschko to return to boxing will provide a “New air of enthusiasm in the heavyweight division.” As an emeritus champion, or legend, WBC rules mean that Vitali could have an immediate crack at the current champion Oleg Maskaev. But Sulaiman says that the Board of Governors must vote on the next step, and their ruling is expected within ten days.
If they ordered an Eastern block confrontation the winner would then be ordered to fight number one challenger Samuel Peter next. Don Jose said, it depends on the Governors decision, but if the fight happened, he would be happy if took place in Russia. He also revealed that Vitali had discussed with him, the possibility of resuming his ring career as long ago as when the two met at the WBC’s Convention in Croatia last year. Vitali has retired in 2005 due to a knee injury.
But the momentum appreciably gathered pace a few days ago, when Vitali phoned Sulaiman at his home, “full of enthusiasm,” to explain that the doctors have given him a clean bill of health to return, he was back training in the gym and feels great. The WBC is awaiting the medical report. Don Jose said: “In his telephone conversation with me, Vitali was very determined. And I think that Vitali Klitschko’s return will be a progressive injection to the Heavyweight Division. There’s no doubt about that. “He was at his peak when he retired, he’s still at the right age, and so we’ll have to see.”
Some Good Reads:
Friday, December 08, 2006
Boxing Promoter Frank Warren has dropped troubled former WBO Featherweight Champion Scott Harrison as his client one day after Harrison failed to make weight for his Saturday night fight against Nicky Cook and was forced to vacate his title.
“Scott Harrison is gone as far as I am concerned,” Warren said Thursday. “You cannot deal with things when people are not telling you the truth and you are not getting the information. I had no knowledge at all that Scott was pulling out of the fight and it is all pretty dreadful.”
Warren is currently looking for an alternative opponent for Cook in the main event. For now, he has made the IBF Intercontinental Light-Welterweight Title bout between Amir Khan and Rachid Drilzane the co-main event.
Friday, November 17, 2006
One week after being released from a prison in Spain, WBO Featherweight Champion Scott Harrison has been cleared to fight and possibly defend his title against Nicky Cook on December 9th.
The fight is still officially cancelled until the WBO says otherwise however.
“We are still waiting on some bits and pieces including things like blood tests, but that apart, Scott has come through his medical with flying colors,” said the fighter’s lawyer, Massimo Franchi. “So it has now been clarified by medics that he is fit to box.
“He has undergone a physical and a psychiatric examination and he is in good shape, physically and mentally. After talking to the WBO and explaining the situation, I’m now more optimistic that the fight will go ahead.”
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Well this is a sudden change of events…
Last week we reported that Harrison would not be out of jail in time to defend his WBO Featherweight title against Nicky Cook on December 9th.
Well not only is Harrison now out of prison due to a spur of the moment bail agreement but his scheduled bout against Cook is now back on schedule after being cancelled by Frank Warren.
Despite many unsuccessful attempts to get his fighter out, Harrison’s manager Barry Hughes never lost hope and also stated that Harrison is in fighting shape and had been training while he was detained…
“My hopes of getting him out were fading on Friday night but something in my heart told me to keep on going and finally we got it sorted,” Hughes said. “We will fly back tomorrow morning and probably get into Glasgow early afternoon and hopefully go straight for the medical.
We have a medical booked for tomorrow so we are back on the timescale for the fight,” Hughes said. “If I thought he was not fit to fight, either mentally or physically, then I would not let the bout go ahead. But Scott has been training for an hour and a half - twice every day - and his weight is OK.”
Harrison will not be required to return to Spain until his trial.
Thursday, November 09, 2006
Note to self: Never, ever, give a post a rap lyric title again…
Anyway, I’m sure Akon can feel Scott Harrison’s pain. Yes people, he’s still in jail and it looks like he isn’t getting out anytime soon.
Harrison’s promoter, Frank Warren has informed the media that his client will not be able to get out of jail in time to defend his WBO Featherweight Title against Nicky Cook on December 9th…
“The situation with Scott is obviously very disappointing,” promoter Frank Warren said Wednesday. “For the last month or so we’ve been advised that he would secure bail and be in a position to defend his title.”
Wednesday, October 25, 2006
I thought it was only going to be a week Barry Hughes?
WBO Featherweight Champion Scott Harrison continues to wait for his release from a Spain jail where is being held for the assault of multiple police officers and grand theft auto.
So when are we going to see Scott?
“We are very hopeful of movement in the near future,” Hughes said. “There is no release date but they don’t have the same system as we do here. As soon as the papers are stamped, he will be released immediately.
“We are very, very positive that we will see Scott by the weekend.”
From the way things are going, we’ll see about that…
Here’s a little timeline for those of you who are looking to get caught-up on all of the Scott Harrison drama:
- May 13th - Scott Harrison is arrested at a Scotland pub for partaking in a bar brawl and resisting arrest among other things.
- May 15th - Harrison announces that he will still defend his title against Gairy St. Clair that Saturday night even though he was arrested and charged just two days earlier.
- May 16th - He then decides to pull out of the fight against St. Clair
- May 17th - Harrison voluntarily enters a rehabilation clinic to be treated for depression and alcohol abuse.
- May 23rd - Harrison checks himself out of rehab and goes missing.
- October 17th - He is arrested and charged with assaulting multiple police officers and car theft.
- October 23rd - A published report from Scotland states that Harrison was diagnosed with OCD during his rehab stint in May. Harrison’s father confirms that his son does have the disease.
- October 24th - Harrison continues to wait for his release from a jail in Spain.
Monday, October 23, 2006
Recently arrested WBO Featherweight Champion Scott Harrison has been diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder according to a published report in Scotland. The finding was made during Harrison’s rehab stint over the summer for alcohol and depression problems.
Harrison is currently still being held in Spain on charges that he assaulted a group of police officers...
Harrison’s father Peter has also reportedly confirmed this as well:
“It certainly helps to explain a lot about Scott’s behaviour in recent times.”
Tuesday, October 17, 2006
WBO Featherweight Champion Scott Harrison was arrested and charged with assaulting multiple police officers as well as automobile theft last week in Spain. He is currently awaiting trial in the country.
Harrison’s manager Barry Hughes says that his client is being unlawfully held and should be released as soon as possible. He also said that the charges put on him are completely false…
“There was a confrontation because of a language communication problem,” he said. “He doesn’t speak any Spanish, and the officer didn’t speak any English. This is what led to Scott’s arrest. Nowhere on the charge sheet does it say that he has stolen a vehicle. He had no interpreter when he was arrested or at the court. Scott denies assaulting anyone.”
Harrison had a short stint in rehab for alcohol abuse earlier this past spring. He was arrested in May for his part in a bar brawl in Scotland.
Harrison’s scheduled bout against Nicky Cook on December 9th in London will still go on as scheduled according to Hughes:
“Scott’s in great shape,” he said. “This is just a setback of one week’s training. As soon as he gets out, he’ll be straight back into the training again.”
Well at least we know that Harrison is still alive and well. I must have missed the announcement of his latest fight because the last time we checked up on him, Harrison had checked himself out of rehab and went missing...
He changed managers too? What happened to Frank Maloney?
Tuesday, May 23, 2006
WBO Featherweight Champion Scott Harrison has checked himself out of a rehab clinic and is currently missing according to his manager, Frank Maloney. Harrison originally checked into a Scotland clinic and spent a few days there before transferring to a London clinic and leaving over the weekend.