Wednesday, November 14, 2007
Former world heavyweight champion Hasim Rahman of Baltimore, Md. will take on Zuri Lawrence of Wappingers Falls, N.Y. at the Sovereign Center in Reading, Pa.
Rahman, 44-6-2, was scheduled to fight Sherman Williams but he came down with a very bad sore throat and flu-like symptons earlier this week. Lawrence has a record of 23-12-4. He has three straight wins and a year ago defeated contender Jameel McCline in Hollywood, Ca.
Rahman and Lawrence will weigh in today 3 pm at the Abraham Lincoln Wyndham Hotel, 5th Ave., Reading, Pa. The undercard will weigh at the hotel on Friday, 9 am.
This is an important bout for Rahman who is looking for a major bout in early 2008.
“The Rock has three straight wins, this fight tomorrow night against Zuri Lawrence and then Rock is looking for something major. We have some ideas which will we soon discuss with Bob Arum at Top Rank,” said Steve Nelson, the long-time manager of Rahman.
Rahman, trained by Marshall Kauffman, has looked strong and powerful while training at Kings Gym in Reading, Pa.
“I’ve taken Rock back to the basics - working on his jab, his right hand, right uppercuts, left uppercuts,” said Kauffman. “I am trying to incorporate a better defense for Rock. For example, I want him to roll from punches, catch his left hooks more and get back to continually working on the jab to set up his right hand. The biggest key is to just be consistent.”
Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Not much today so bear with me. I’m trying to have KO Corner’s official rankings up by the end of the week at the latest…
News, Notes, and Rumors:
- Juan Lazcano and Vivian Harris will battle in a WBC Super-Lighyweight elimination bout on February 10th as part of the undercard of Shane Mosley vs Luis Collazo…
- The latest on Nikolai Valuev and Ruslan Chagaev per Boxing Scene:
Next up for WBA heavyweight champ Nikolai Valuev is the mandatory defense against Ruslan Chagaev. The WBA will call for purse bids on February 9 if no agreement is reached before that and wants the fight to go ahead no later than April 15.
- Stevie Johnston will take on Tyrone Harris for the vacant IBA Lightweight tile this Friday in Orlando, Florida.
- Rocky Balboa did not receive a Razzie nomination for one of the worst movies of 2006, the first time in years that Sylvester Stallone or a movie of his hasn’t been nominated apparently…
- Dominick Guinn has a taken a fight on extremely short notice and will take on Zuri Lawrence on February 2nd as part of ESPN’s Friday Night Fights.
Some Good Reads: