EEC - January 25, 2007
Well the return of Vitali Klitschko means three things: Samuel Peter is getting screwed, the heavyweight division gets that much better, and we will never see the titles unified until he retires again…
News, Notes, and Rumors:
- The Los Angeles Times is reporting that Oscar De La Hoya will not use Floyd Mayweather Sr. as his trainer for his superfight against Mayweather’s son in May. A spokesman from Golden Boy Promotions said that the asking price of $2 Million to train Oscar was way too high and then De La Hoya has rejected the offer for the final time.
Even though he won’t be part of the May superfight unless his son mysteriously asks him to help out which is very unlikely, Mayweather Sr. apparently hasn’t ruled out working with De La Hoya in the future if the opportunity presents itself…
- The British Boxing Board of Control suspended Scott Harrison yesterday after he failed to show up to a scheduled hearing to discuss the cancellation of his fight with Nicky Cook last year. The association released this statement:
Despite confirmation of his attendance received from the office of his manager Barry Hughes, Scott Harrison failed to appear before a tribunal of the stewards scheduled to take place at the board’s offices. Accordingly his licence will remain suspended and he will not be permitted to take part in any boxing contest within the board’s jurisdiction until such time as the stewards permit him to do so.
- Confused about the whole Vitali Klitschko returning situation? This might help...
WBC President Jose Sulaiman says that the decision of Vitali Klitschko to return to boxing will provide a “New air of enthusiasm in the heavyweight division.” As an emeritus champion, or legend, WBC rules mean that Vitali could have an immediate crack at the current champion Oleg Maskaev. But Sulaiman says that the Board of Governors must vote on the next step, and their ruling is expected within ten days.
If they ordered an Eastern block confrontation the winner would then be ordered to fight number one challenger Samuel Peter next. Don Jose said, it depends on the Governors decision, but if the fight happened, he would be happy if took place in Russia. He also revealed that Vitali had discussed with him, the possibility of resuming his ring career as long ago as when the two met at the WBC’s Convention in Croatia last year. Vitali has retired in 2005 due to a knee injury.
But the momentum appreciably gathered pace a few days ago, when Vitali phoned Sulaiman at his home, “full of enthusiasm,” to explain that the doctors have given him a clean bill of health to return, he was back training in the gym and feels great. The WBC is awaiting the medical report. Don Jose said: “In his telephone conversation with me, Vitali was very determined. And I think that Vitali Klitschko’s return will be a progressive injection to the Heavyweight Division. There’s no doubt about that. “He was at his peak when he retired, he’s still at the right age, and so we’ll have to see.”
Some Good Reads:
Features • Early Eight Count • Personalities • Jose Sulaiman • Promoters • Golden Boy Promotions • Trainers • Floyd Mayweather Sr • Welterweight • Floyd Mayweather Jr • Kelly Pavlik • Klitschko Brothers • Mike Tyson • Oscar De La Hoya • Scott Harrison