Joan Guzman Remains Under Contract
SAN DIEGO, Calif. – Contrary to information circulated on the internet, undefeated World Boxing Organization (WBO) Junior Lightweight Champion Joan Guzman (28-0, 17 KOs) remains under contract with his co-promoters, San Diego-based Sycuan Ringside Promotions and Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions through March 1, 2008.
“There have been numerous false reports circulating on the internet that claim Guzman’s contract with Sycuan and Golden Boy has concluded,” said Scott Woodworth, executive vice president of Sycuan Ringside Promotions. The contract between Sycuan, Golden Boy and Joan Guzman might not necessarily end on March 1, 2008, due to injuries and other specific circumstances.”
Regardless of what happens before the March 1 deadline, it should be made clear to all interested promoters that Sycuan and Golden Boy hold a right of first refusal. That means Sycuan and Golden Boy have the right to match any offer within 60 days.
“Guzman has 60 days beginning March 1 in which to provide a ‘bona fide’ offer to Sycuan and Golden Boy,” Woodworth said. “If his team comes to us with an offer, we have the right to match it. Obviously Sycuan hopes it never comes to that, because it is our intention to resign our undefeated champion.”
Sycuan Ringside Promotions recently lost a purse bid to Frank Warren Sports Network that would have given the Native-American owned boxing company first promotional rights to the Joan Guzman-Alex Arthur fight, tentatively scheduled for the spring.
“Sycuan and Golden Boy are disappointed that we didn’t get the winning bid for Guzman-Arthur,” Woodworth said. “However, we are ready, willing and able to assist Guzman in his efforts to defend his title.”
Sycuan Ringside Promotions officials met with Jose Nunez, Guzman’s manager, earlier in January in an effort to reach a new promotional agreement. Talks are ongoing and both sides hope to complete a deal in the near future.
Promoters • Golden Boy Promotions • Sycuan Ringside Promotions • Joan Guzman